I realized I had taken quite a few nice pictures of Elora in the last month or two that we lived here, but I really wanted to have some in her new clothes from her birthday. Why? Because half of the stuff she's been wearing up 'till now dates back to around her second birthday! I know, I'm so neglectful. But that's why she got a whole new wardrobe this year, which she was actually excited about.
So she picked out her favorite shirt (which wasn't the one I thought she'd pick) then we went out with the camera. I knew right away it was still too early in the afternoon; the light was too bright and harsh. But Joseph was home and watching Joshua while we "got the mail" (Jonah was in the stroller with us) so it was our best chance to get out.
We found a shady wall for our first attempts, which I loved. Then we explored some nearby cattle stuff (I don't read Pioneer Woman enough to know all the technical terms, sorry.)But most of these shots were plagued by too deep of shadows, fake smiles, or blazing sunlight. It wasn't until the last half hour of our adventure that the light finally mellowed and I was able to get what I wanted. Not that I didn't have a hard time narrowing down the photos: I had about 96 to begin with, and after eliminating all the funny faces or blurry shots there were still about seventy. Here are those that I'll most likely print...which do you like?
First the "blue" pictures. I love these, and I have to figure out some way to display them.


Some cattle gate pictures. For each one of these I kept there were soooo many where she was making weird faces.

Random shots that turned out okay. I think I should have lightened the orangey one a bit, but I was just experimenting:

These all had some things that weren't quite right about them- awkward background, too bright, etc., but I still like them all for some reason.


We went out by our trusty green tractor again, but none of these turned out very good at all. It was just too bright out, Elora wasn't feeling it, and most just looked like snap-shots. Ah well, we already have tractor pictures, right?

Oh, did I mention, up until the tractor photos, most of these pictures were shot while Elora was wearing skates from her birthday? Yes, even those where she was on the gate or other precarious perches.

Finally, here is where the light was suddenly beautiful, at least to me.

I will be using one of this group as my annual 8x10 for the wall. I know which one I like best, though I love all of them. Which is your fave?

Of course, this one isn't bad either..

And I'll spare you the redundancy of the whole group of pics, but these all looked great as black and whites too.

Not a bad day, all in all.
7 comments:
I love, love, LOVE the black and white one. She is so grown up! And from the 8x10 group, my favorite is the top right corner. Lovely subject, gorgeous work!
Those are great pictures! I couldn't pick just one. I like the bottom right corner of the second group, then the last three of the entire post. She is a beautiful little girl. She reminds me a bit of Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird.
She sure is a beautiful girl! My favorite in the group is the bottom right, too. And the b&w is amazing. She's quite the little model.
She's such a pretty little girl! I like the two photos on the right side of the cattle gate group. Of the 8x10 group, I like the photo in the top right corner. And, like Mellissa, I also like the last three photos! (Okay, really, I like most of the photos, but the ones I mentioned were my favorites!)
I like the one that's in the lower right-hand corner of the cattle gate group. It's so adorable!
Sarah, I know, they all looked good that way, thanks. The top right corner is my favorite too, for the composition, and the curl of hair by her face. She could be smiling bigger, but you can't have everything.
Missy- Scout from the movie? I've read the book (and Scout was on my list of names for her before Joseph vetoed it) but I don't remember the movie well enough to remember the face. I love the last three too!
Julie and Rose- thanks!
Carrie- its weird to me that so many people like that one out of the cattle gate group, I guess because I know her expressions better and that one seems a little fake to me. But everyone liking it made me reconsider it too.
I love them all. What a beauty.Kimber
Post a Comment