Thursday, October 07, 2010

Important months: July and August

I hate that this summer when I couldn't write on my blog was exactly when the most things were going on. And the longer I wait to write about them, the more details I forget, and the less significant the memory seems. Not that its such a big deal for blog readers, but its annoying for me! Its like when I went on a cruise to Mexico with my friends in 2003, but got engaged the same day I left. I had so many adventures on my cruise but didn't write down any of it. And I was such a good journal writer at the time. Stupid engagement.

So...July.

Right before we so surprisingly moved, Jonah had his first birthday! I did commemorate it on my blog, but never had any pictures from the actual DAY. See, wasn't he so cute?


He'd had cake a few weeks earlier on my birthday....




and a few weeks before that on Joshua's birthday....




so there was none of the usual hesitation you might see on a first birthday encounter of The Cake. He knew exactly what it was, and devoured his hefty piece in 30 seconds flat, then begged for more! Sadly, I forgot to take a picture of the cake before it was destroyed.





His favorite birthday toy was this little turtle that sings songs and says numbers. Every time we turned it on, he would wave his arm as if conducting the music, no matter where he was in the house or what he was doing before it started. We got a cute video of it, but I don't think I can upload it from here. Dang it. Because videos get soooo many comments. ;-)




As most of you know, the end of July is when we moved. After we packed our things into storage (we didn't know where we were moving yet, if you'll recall) We went to my mom's house for a week and had lots of fun visiting Grandma and Grandpa before we moved soooo far away from them!

We did a lot of lounging,



sitting in the yard swing,



walking with Grandma,



eating ice cream with Grandpa,



and visiting Grandma's school.



There was a little tree climbing involved,



exploring Uncle Dain and Uncle Thain's tent (which never did open properly)



and there was even a visit from friends!



Uncle Thorin taught Elora how to play Guitar Hero (and, not surprisingly, she's better than me),



then Thorin and Grandma rocked out acoustic style.



Jonah was happy to lend his skills on keyboard.



After this great week, we were lucky to go to a family reunion in Idaho...and Yellowstone! Which I might talk abut next time, because I have TONS of pictures. But then, these took a week to upload, so we'll see what happens!

4 comments:

julie said...

I love all the pictures!

I totally understand what you mean. I always tend to forgo writing in my journal when my life is the most interesting. I haven't written in it since December - missing out on recording all the great experiences I've been having! And, the longer it goes without writing, the less I feel like doing it because it'll be so annoying to go back and update it. Eventually, I'll probably just do a quick list of all that's happened and start from the present.

I'm looking forward to the family reunion photos!

Mellissa said...

That tree in those pictures looks awfully familiar. ;) Even though I could never get up there quite like you did.

I love that Jonah is a cake professional. It's still cute, even if you didn't get the hesitation on your blog. The inhaling idea is just as fun!

I feel like a total slacker for not stopping by. I should have done so.

KieraAnne said...

Did the grass around mom's tree grow back in? That is so weird. That picture just looks wrong with grass around the tree and the gutter cleaned out...Henry didn't hesitate with his cake either...but I don't think we got a video 'cuz our camera wasn't working that week. (stupid camera). :)

tearese said...

julie- thanks. I think the quick list idea is a good way to go when it gets overwhelming, I do that on occasion too.

missy- yeah, you notice I'm the one in the tree, not Elora, though for some reason it seemed a lot harder than I remembered! Eh, its no big deal we didn't see you there, but it might have been fun to see how Riley and Elora and Josh got along together. Oh well.

kiera- yeah, its grown back a lot though not completely.