Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Eli and rice cereal

Last week, little Elijah got to try eating solids for the first time! We don't usually start our kids eating food regularly this early along (maybe just a taste here and there) but I've been concerned about his weight and thought this might be a good way to pack on a few pounds. He's just over four months old but only weighs about two pounds more than when he was born?
And I might add, the doctor wasn't concerned at all, so I probably don't need to worry. But to me, gaining only 5oz in the last two months doens't sound right, especially when I checked it against my other kids' records, and they had all gained at least two pounds in that same time period. Elora was two pounds heavier at this age, and Josh was a whopping six punds bigger! The little chunk.
Anyway.
So I bought rice cereal, and Joseph asked if he could feed the baby one afternoon when I was taking the other kids out to the mailbox. I said sure, not thinking about how I always want to record his first eating event on camera :(. I was sad when we got back home and I realized what I'd missed.
We did pull out the camera for the next night of eating, and those photos follow...but it's just not the same as seeing his very first reaction!
At first, he's just concerned about being put down. He really is a clingy little guy, and wants to be held all the time! He's not quite big enough to sit in the highchair yet, so we're using the swing in which we first fed Elora as a baby.

 

 Then he gets a bite and all crying ceases. Hey food! Maybe the little guy really has been starving!



Joseph says the first time, Eli tasted the first bite thoughtfully, then when Joseph came forward with the second spoonful the baby jerked forward excitedly, resulting in a glob of rice cereal in his eye!


After that, he was kicking his feet and reaching out to "help" guide the spoon to his mouth.


 And ever since then, he's been eating like a champ! He always gets really excited to be eating with the rest of us, and when his food is gone, he invariably wants more. Sadly, I don't know if it really agrees with his stomach, as he's been having a hard time going to bed at night with all his twisting and crying. He doesn't ever spit it up, he just has a lot for the other end the next day. If you know what I mean.

(he looks just like me as a baby in this picture)

Hopefully soon he'll adjust and be able to get to sleep again..and who knows, maybe it's me and not the cereal giving him gas. These things are always so hard to tell. Either way, Elijah is growing up fast.




2 comments:

julie said...

I hope he gets used to this new food soon and gets less gassy. At least he doesn't spit it up. My niece would gorge herself (breast milk and later rice cereal) then a few minutes after she ate would spew it all back up. Turns out she had some stomach issue that a little medicine cleared up quite nicely. Anyhoo, it's amazing how quickly kids grow! He's a cute little guy, your little Elijah.

KieraAnne said...

Yay food! Yeah our babies only go crazy grabbing the spoon like that when they're super hungry, like I missed the last feeding and it's been 6+ hours since they ate hungry. But it looks like he's eating way better than William is.