Sunday, January 29, 2012

Winter Puddle

Doesn't this look like a nice afternoon in August, or perhaps early September?

(and no, I've never seen anything resembling a garden inside this fence. Oh, except for some sunflowers last Summer.)

 Strangely, this is what I've been seeing most every day this winter, with just a few cloudy days in between. 



And while it looks warm and sunny with the lack of snow, it is actually pretty freezing! In fact we've already had several cancelled school days because of day temperatures in the negatives, Farenheit.




One of the few visual signs that it is indeed winter is occasional ice in the ditches, and the giant puddle filled with ice near our mailboxes. In the summer this is a favorite skipping rock place, and in the winter it still holds much fascination for my kids. Much to my annoyance.




I know it doesn't hold a candle to Bear Lake, Utah, or any of the beaches we used to visit in Washington, but it's fun to think that this little puddle is going to be one of the cherished memories of their childhood!


Often I won't even let Jonah come with me to get the mail, because it's almost impossible to drag him away from throwing things in the puddle. Notice he's not here now.





Sometimes even the older kids are hard to pull away! When I ran to grab my camera (incidentally this is when Joseph was feeding the baby and I missed it) I came back to find them stomping around in the water. With boots that are NOT rainboots. When it was freezing.




At least they were happy! With wet feet.



Compared to last year,


We're having a pretty good winter! It's funny that both Utah and Washington have had more snow than us this year. 






















Ha ha.

6 comments:

Cardine said...

Yeah, I feel like we have hardly had any snow this year. Today I wore a knee-length skirt to church, and when I was outside I wasn't even really chilled at all. And it's January. Sad. I appreciate the variety that winter brings, so I really am kind of sad about it.

KieraAnne said...

Haha. You're funny. We haven't had any snow either but it's like 55...okay that's all.

julie said...

Beautiful pictures! It does look warm with the sun shining on the snow-less grass.

I've decided that I don't love winter as much as I once did. I don't enjoy being cold at all. In a perfect world, I'd have a home in Arizona for winter and a home somewhere cooler for summer.

I bet you're right about your kids remembering that puddle fondly when they're older. I think it's awesome. :)

Mellissa said...

It doesn't seem like we've had a lot of snow either. It's just been cold here as well, but not in the negatives like it has been for you.

Why is it that kids love puddles, never notice the cold, and have trouble understanding that snow boots are not waterproof? Neither are sneakers.

Anonymous said...

Brrr.... in the negatives and nothing to show for it? That's what bothers me about winter sometimes... when it's super duper freezing cold but dry. Actually, here in Logan when it gets like that it's not dry, it's old and crusty month-old ice chunks. It was snowing a bit on my way to work this morning and I was excited, so we could at least get a new layer!

What I like about your photos is that it looks warm. :)

tearese said...

Cardine- I agree. WHile I'm not a fan of being cold, having lots of snow in the winter makes spring that much more exciting.
kiera-yeah.
julie-I don't like to be cold, but if I had to choose, I'd always pick cold over hot. At least until I'm really old, then maybe I could live in AZ.
missy-I know, they might need to get some rain boots this spring, if I recall there was a lot of water last year...
sarah-I remember the crusty ice chunks!