Thursday, November 01, 2012

The school track and unplanned beauty

(So, if you're just skimming this, the best pictures are near the end. That's all.)

Not too long ago, the kids and I took a little jaunt on the school cross-country track. I guess it's considered cross-country because of the varied terrain or something. The funny thing is, while we've lived here almost two and a half years, I didn't even know this track was here until a few months ago! I had seen parts of it, like this western section near the east side of the school, but I thought it was some kind of access road that went somewhere else, rather than a winding circuitous path. Of course, until recently, it was pretty overgrown with weeds, so who would have guessed?
Joseph has been running on this track in the mornings with fair weather, and after walking it myself, I was duely impressed with his exercise regiment!


west side, straight up


Rounding the bend at the north-east corner...look, there's the housing back behind us! It's hard to push a stroller in the dirt. That's Why I let the kids do it for me.







On the eastern side of the track we came upon a big hill. This is why I'm impressed with Joseph running this in the mornings: he goes the opposite direction and actually runs UP this hill! Way to go. I'll never do that, I can tell you right now.



east side, big hill top




view from the top of the hill


Coming around the bottom south-east corner and the school is coming back into view. When we're on the far side of this track, you wouldn't even know we were near civilization!



hmm, perfect light to shoot portraits. I always miss it by half an hour.
 And back by the school again, on the western side. There is the baseball field. Wouldn't you love to play here! Yes, this is the poorest county in the United States, look it up.



After we were done walking the track, we intended to go home. But then I saw this cool haze by the rodeo grounds after a car had driven by, and we decided to go check it out.



We had some fun taking pictures in the golden evening light, even though it was getting a little too dark.




HI mom!
 I got several pictures of them walking together, and I love the light and composition on this one, but I just wish it was more in focus...this is after its even been sharpened. I swear my camera is dying.






cutest kids in South Dakota










if only Eli weren't hiding behind Josh, this would be awesome
 They all started running this way,


lets go!

and they actually did some cute poses without me directing them at all! I love these of the three older kids watching Eli walk toward them:

Eli in focus

Three kids in focus. I love Josh's face.

I was really lucky to capture these two pictures, because just a few seconds later, they looked like this: haha.


crazy kids

three cute boys



 Soon enough it was getting way too dark, and we headed home (where daddy had made dinner and was wondering where the heck we'd all gone! Oops)


Jonah has the cutest profile
 
Bye everyone!


3 comments:

Cardine said...

I love your photos, and I don't care if it takes you weeks or months to upload them. They're great!

julie said...

I never skim your posts. I really enjoy reading about your life in South Dakota and hearing what you guys are up to. And of course, the photos are always fantastic.

KieraAnne said...

Yay Pictures!