In college, I was somewhat addicted to candy. Probably because we didn't buy it that often when I was growing up (not that we weren't allowed to have candy by any means, but because it was a waste of money). At school, I suddenly had my own money, and lo and behold the school store was very close to the art studios, where I spent much of my time. Bonus: they sold some of my favorite treats as penny candies: Frooties!
![]() |
By my senior year, I had developed the habit of purchasing 100 of these candies almost every day, sometimes more if I had an extra dollar on hand. I would snack on these (along with granola bars or pop tarts) while I worked on my masterpieces throughout the day. As might be expected, my body wasn't too thrilled with this arrangement, and over time I became slightly hypoglycemic.
In the end, it wasn't too hard for me to pare down my sweet habit after I graduated school, (because in the back of my head it was still a waste of money) and I quickly got out of the habit of buying candy at all, unless it was a special occasion.
Then I got married.
For those of you who know my husband, he is definitely a foodie. He loves to cook and create culinary masterpieces, but he also uses food to reward himself and others, which I've always disagreed with. As time has worn on, our attitudes have affected each others habits so that we meet somewhere in the middle. He doesn't buy treats and snacks as often as he used to (It helps that we dont' live anywhere near a convenience store) and I eat them more often than I would if I lived on my own, because he always tries to show love by, well, buying me treats. I always am annoyed at this, but he knows I will eat it if he buys it.
There are a lot of other things I'd prefer to candy if I were picking my own appetizing reward (when I get Blizzards I always pick a fruit flavor, same with icecream toppings or pie varieties) but candy has it's own little place too I suppose.
And now, presenting my list of my favorite candies, somewhat catagorized, but not really.
Everyday candies
Bulk: Frooties, Sourpatch kids, Starbursts: these are all awesome. They're something I wouldn't buy at the checkout line, but we sometimes buy in bulk to have on hand. Frooties are sold at the local store in August for their stockshow parade, and we've bought a few bags around that time the last few years. I would normally only buy one bag, but they only have one flavor in each bag! I like sour apple and strawberry lemonade flavor. And yes, they're five pound bags that last for a very long time.
As for the other two candies, Jonah usually needs some incentive to take a nap, so might as well buy a candy type that I like too. (It's also what the summer Frooties are used for.) Right now we have Starbursts in the cupboard because our last bag of Sourpatches did this weird sweating thing when it got too hot, so they were all sticky and ruined . Pink and Lemon are the best Starburst flavors, though the others are delicious.
Checkout purchase: Milky Way, Snickers, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Twix: I used to never get candy at the grocery store, but Joseph always does, and since its a long drive home we often get the kids a little treat too. I have a tendancy to want something if everyone else is getting it too, even if I don't really want it.
![]() |
Movie candies
Red Vines, Raisinets, Junior Mints: This is another thing that's changed since I started dating Joseph. Previously, I would never ever buy candy at the movie theater. As a kid we sometimes snuck in our own treats, but as I got older I didn't really find that necessary either. Enter Joseph. He insists that you can't watch a movie without getting treats. Annoying, yet loveable, right? These are treats I have definitely had in other settings besides the movies (I love the giant bag of Raisinets you can purchase at Walmart, though I've avoided it for many moons).
![]() |
Redvines are best when they're a little old and chewy. Oh,Joseph likes Dots too.
Special Occasion candies
There are some occasions where it is natural to buy or make special candies: Christmas, Valentines, maybe anniversaries. These candies are generally more fancy or expensive than your garden variety treats.
My favorite "box o' chocolates" is definitely See's Candy. We first tried this dilectable treat when we got a gift card for the store in Washington where we used to live. Since then, we often buy them online for special days, even though they can be a bit pricey when you add in the shipping. But I love how you can design your own box with all of your favorite flavors. I highly recommend the fruit varieties, though they have other fine choices as well. In a cheap box of chocolates, the soft center flavors are usually not very good. In this brand, they are highly flavorful and surprisingly gormet. The Apple Pie flavor actually tastes like apple pie! The Raspberry flavor tastes like rich raspberry sorbet. Lemon and Key Lime Pie are also fine delicacies. And if you like that sort of thing, the nuts and chews are also very nomable.
Slightly less pricey are holiday favorites like Almond Roca, Raspberry Sticks, Peppermint Bark, and Chocolate Oranges. Once I got a box of Almond Roca as a gift for Christmas, and it disappeared way too fast.
![]() |
A few weeks ago Joseph bought us some Raspberry sticks when he gave someone a ride into town. A few days later I had to give him the sad news that half the box had disappeared while he was at school. Sadly, this year we were unable to procure the prized chocolate oranges for our stockings..maybe next year.:( The original flavor is the best.
![]() |
We don't make a ton of our own candies, though I always appreciated it when we lived other places and sometime people from church would bring us treats. (Okay, Joseph has made up some homemade candies before, but I didn't especially like his inventions.) Shh.
I do love my mom's homemade caramels. This year, Joseph has discovered (through my food board on Pinterest) the wonderful recipe for apple cider caramels, which is quickly becoming one of my favorites!
Nom nom nom.
And, not to end this post on a sour note, but I just read an article this week that suggested that problems with insulin levels (as with diabetes) might be a cause of alzheimers. Something to think about, and make us all feel guilty about eating poisonous sugar. The end.





6 comments:
Candy, candy, candy! I don't like almond roca it's yucky. That happens to any sour patch kids we have in the cupboard unless it's winter...they still taste okay if you eat them stuck together, but the sour has melted off so they're not as good. I thought those frooties were those weird mexican fruit flavored tootsie roll knock offs. I buy more candy with Patrick then I did before 'cuz he's addicted to sugar. I remember when you ate all of that candy in college. I think mini reese's peanut butter cups taste like artificial vanilla flavoring...there's a weird alcohol aftertaste to them that's gross. Milky Ways are yucky too...too much nougat, bleck. I like sour patch kids but if you eat too many of them it burns your taste buds. I also like taffy which I see did not make your list. I'll buy big bags of that sometimes...
we bought a giant bag of salt water taffy on our honey moon; ever since then I haven't liked it that much...we got really sick of it. Sour patch kids give you canker sores if you eat too much, and yeah, I don't like em as much as I used to. Frooties are Mexican? Whatever man. Those bigger kinds that you're probably thinking of are really good too. I like the pineapple ones.
No I don't think Frooties are Mexican, I meant there is a candy that looks just like that called something that starts with an F that the Dollar Store sells so everyone gives out at Halloween, but they're hard candies, not yummy chewy ones and they don't taste good. When I saw you pic I thought that was what it was.
Mmmm.... candy.... I think I'll go have some chocolate. I mean, more chocolate. ;)
My mouth is now watering. I like all the candies you mentioned, except for maybe Milky Way, because in my mind why have a candy bar without nuts when I can get one with nuts? As you can see, I like nuts. I also like swedish fish. And they have these Air Head Extremes that are sweet and sour and are so good. However, I will almost always choose chocolate over something non-chocolate.
I'm with Missy - I'll always choose chocolate over nonchocolate. It's in my DNA. So, I don't buy any candy with chocolate in it for our house because then I'll devour it. Between the two of us, I definitely eat more sweets than my husband. I tell him it's because he's already naturally sweet whereas I need to be artifically sweetened.
Post a Comment