Sunday, January 06, 2013

kitty kitty


As you may know, I generally don't "do" animal art: I've seen many paintings and drawings of said creatures that I appreciate, but the subject has never been a real interest for me to explore.
But this last year some relatives of mine lost their cat that had been a part of their family for many years.
I had lived with the family for a few years too, and I was saddened by the news of the cat's demise.
So I wanted to draw a picture of their cat.
I searched through all my photos from when I lived with them, and while I had a dozen pictures of the dog, I only had one horrible picture of the cat to use for reference. It was close up, the flash was on, and the only thing I could really gather was that the cat had a pink nose.
When I visited my family last summer, I knew we had to have some pictures of the feline from the times our family had visited in the nineties. Alas, after much searching  I only found one photo that was far away and not exactly in focus. At least it kind of showed how his markings looked on his back, which was semi-helpful.


So the photos sat forever, waiting.
When I did the drawings for a friend this fall that included a cat, I realized the back pose I had used would be perfect for the drawing I had in mind for this cat.
Not too long after that, I was admiring the technique of an artist in my art magazine. M. Katherine Hurley. She made these landscapes in oil or pastel that were deliberately vague or misty, using vibrant colors that I loved. As I sat there thinking I would like to try that technique (I'm always trying to get away from my too-linear style) I realized this would be the perfect choice for the cat drawing I'd been contemplating. Then it would be okay if it wasn't a perfect portrait of their cat!
The result was this 5x7 drawing of D'Artagnan, drawn with prismacolor pencil. I quite like how it turned out.




































Okay..there is one thing that bothers me a little. The shape of the head is totally wrong, It looks too human and needs to be flatter on top. That's all.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the drawing! I love the misty look. Thanks again for sharing your talent. :)

julie said...

Very cool! I love the vibrant colors you used and the misty look, too. I second Missy, thanks for sharing!