Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Bowling

 So we went bowling in March. Our kids have never been, and I'm pretty sure Joseph and I haven't been for at least seven years or so. We went with another family from church and it was dubbed a Primary Activity, as ours are the only two families with kids!
 
Our kids are kind of familiar with bowling because they've played it on the Wii ( another teacher left us the game system last summer when they moved away, along with the resort games that come with it). Because they've played it on the screen, they thought they'd be good at the real game, and it was quite humorous to watch them realize that it wasn't quite the same.
 
For instance, bowling balls are actually kind of heavy.  If you just flick your wrist, the ball flies up and lands with a thump. You need to push or toss the ball in some way to give it momentum, it's not just gonna go...however, when it goes super slow down the lane, you might still get all the pins, as Joshua discovered once!
 
 
The kids were excited about the shoes, the different colors of bowling balls, and the novelty of it all. The two toddlers (ours and the other family's) had their own lane, the older kids had one, and the adults had a third. Eli was having a great time, until he got distracted by the candy machine in the corner.
 
 
 The older kids were kind of frustrated at first with how hard it was to play,
 
but at the end we let the older kids use the tool the two toddlers had been using: this special ramp down which they could aim the ball at the pins. They didn't use it every time, but it did speed up the game a bit!
 
As for the adults, we did...okay. I thought I was at a disadvantage, having only played two or three times as an adult, the last time being seven years ago, as previously mentioned. As with most games, I do well at first, then I do much worse by the end.  However, the others with whom we played had even less experience than we did, so my bad score actually looked awesome! And Joseph won, as expected.








 

All in all, it was a fun outing for all.


 





3 comments:

KieraAnne said...

Yay bowling! I don't think I've been bowling in like...ten years? I think Margie and I went bowling on a double date with some people the first year I lived here...so actually it was twelve years ago since it was before I was dating Patrick. Crazy. If you ever come to my house we should go bowling...somewhere...maybe in a corn field?

julie said...

I love bowling but am pretty awful too. I love that your kids thought it would be similar to Wii bowling - totally understandable. I'm better at Wii bowling too. Glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

glad you had some fun doing something different. I haven't been bowling in years.