Monday, April 07, 2014

sock gloves

So Elora has these awesome socks. They were bright pink and black checkered, something I would've loved to wear in the early eighties...and since all the kids today think eighties stuff is new and modern, that means they were cool for Elora to wear too.
Unfortunately, they got a big hole in the toe. I was full of remorse at the thought of throwing her socks away, so I kept them around trying to think of something to use them for. Then I had it: fingerless gloves!
I have a pair of knit fingerless gloves that my mom made for me, and Elora is always stealing them, so I knew she'd love a pair of her own. These were super easy too. All I did was cut out the heel and the toe of each sock, then sewed around the edges. The original sock edge worked great as the cuff around her fingers.


As a surprise bonus, when I was pulling the sock edge straight to sew around it, it caused the wrist part of the glove to have a frilly rippled edge. Win!


The only part  I would've done different is the edge around the thumb, which could've been tucked under- but I don't hate it the way it is.
Voila! Too bad Elora can't wear gloves to school.


5 comments:

KieraAnne said...

Those are pretty awesome. You should make me some. ;)

tearese said...

so did you wink because really you hate them and you secretly fear that I would actually give you some?

Anonymous said...

I think you are amazing. Elora is one lucky little girl.

Sarah said...

I love that you made something out of "nothing"! Great work.

julie said...

Super cute socks...and gloves! This is why I'm learning to sew, so I can transform old things into new. Good job! They're darling.