Thursday, April 10, 2014

Winter Sunset

You've probably seen this already, but I did this watercolor a few weeks ago. I have to say it's the first watercolor I've done and actually been happy with in a long time. In fact, there are probably only three or four watercolor paintings of mine ever that I've been happy with...I really need to take a class.
This didn't turn out completely like I was picturing it (especially the sky), but the most important part is the fresh spontaneous look of it. My problem with watercolor is I tend to overwork things, so I tried really hard to avoid that this time! I did most of it one afternoon, then put the small details in the grass the next day.
 
5x8" watercolor of Takini sunset

It really helped that I had a good photo reference to work from, and I was happy that it was my own photo- I hate when I create something but really it's because of someone elses photo/idea. These were taken at the end of January; there were puddles of water and big chunks of ice all over the ground, as the water tower had apparently had some issues while we were gone for Christmas break.
 
For my drawing reference I actually taped these two photos together, so I could look at the ice in the first picture and the sunset in the second. It worked out pretty well! 
 
 


4 comments:

Rikki-Leigh said...

I love it!

Sarah said...

Beautiful! I have a watercolor of yours and I love it.

p.s. I ran into KV on temple square last Sunday and chatted with him for a bit. I'm not entirely sure he remembered me. Ha, ha.

tearese said...

Thanks Rikki-Leigh!
Sarah- I remember, that was one I liked so much, I recreated a copy for myself after I made yours. It's on my wall.
I saw KV on conference, ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful.