Thursday, February 07, 2008

I saw this meme on the blog Lynne's somewhat invented life, and I thought it was kind of fun.
Here are the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book ( of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

My book: Life, The Universe, and Everything, by Douglas Adams
(we started reading this forever ago, and its been sitting by the computer for quite some time.)

The sentences:
In fact it would be fair to say that he had reached a level of annoyance the like of which had never been seen in the Universe. It was an annoyance of epic proportions, a burning, searing, flame of annoyance, an annoyance that now spanned the whole of time and space in it's infinite umbrage.
And this annoyance had been given its fullest expression in the statue in the center of all this monstrosity that was a statue of Arthur Dent, and an unflattering one. Fifty feet tall if it was an inch, there was not an inch of it that wasn't crammed with insult to it's subject matter, and fifty feet of that sort of thing, would be enough to make any subject feel bad.

Yes, this author has a propensity to write very long run-on sentences, so you sometimes have to read them over again to understand what the heck is going on.
Now I'm not going to tag 5 people, but I'd love to see your take on this meme, whether its in your own blog or in the comments!

6 comments:

KieraAnne said...

I did it on my blog! Your book sounds more interesting though. :)

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I think I may have felt that level of annoyance myself.

:)

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Funny, I did this on my blog in 2004, but at that time it was page 23, not 123.

tearese said...

jill- thats funny that its evolved -or that its even been around that long!
jen-thanks for visiting!
kiera- I read it. You did that pretty fast.

Cardine said...

I'd have to say that I'm glad that it has somewhat morphed into three sentences. It seemed harder to grasp what was going on in one sentence.

The only real book that I have close to me at this moment is The Book of Mormon, and you can look that up yourself.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Someone once told me I write like this author. Now I know why, long, run on sentences. Sigh.