Since no one was too excited about my story (sniff)...
Last night and today I've been working on a couple of posters for an event at church. Ever since my early teen years, I've been asked to make posters, flyers, or other forms of advertisement for a variety of church functions. I really don't mind, and these days its the only time I get to have any type of 'art' on public display. The thing is, I always wonder how they feel about the finished product, you know, those people who asked me to do it.
Because I can draw, some folks assume that I'm all crafty, that I have exquisite penmanship, and that I'm all about cutesy, clever designs. Unfortunately for them, this couldn't be further from the truth. My penmanship is interesting, but not elaborate in anyway. I don't 'do' bows, lace, or scrapbooky stuff, though I've been known to admire especially unique designs by others. When I attempt crafts, I tend to try and make it artsy which usually just ruins the whole thing.
But I've learned since my youth that if I throw some sort of drawing into the poster (or flyer, or invitation) then others will overlook the lack of elegance they've come to expect in such items from church.
See, here is one of the two posters I've been working on:
Qooh, a girl with twirly hair... and look, a hat with flowers! See, you totally didn't notice the lack of tissue paper and decaled edges, not to mention the poor spacing of the lettering. ( The hats represent the different roles women play.)
Of course this style seemed to work better for my time as a YW leader than it does for RS.
I am also in charge of invitations for this event. For things like this, I like to skim through art work I already have, and just tweak and reuse it. In fact, I think I used a version of this same drawing for a YW program in my last Ward. I guess I like this picture. (In the original, there were flowers in her hand instead of a hat, I just drew that in with Photoshop.)
See, I figure I take this, stick it to some sort of colored card stock and call it a day. Some committee people were supposed to come over this evening to help put these together, but they postponed at the last minute. Grrr. Not that I rushed to get everything ready for them today or anything.
I figure when they do actually come, they can make decisions regarding bow placement or tissue paper, if they so desire. I hope they're not disappointed.
8 comments:
They won't be disappointed. They'll love what you've done. They're great!
The first two "they"s refer to the committee. The third to your works. Just in case that needed to be clarified.
They look really good!! Do you want to do ours?? ;)
I did love the story. Really.
Also, I like the posters. I'm glad you don't do cutesy posters like a lot of people do. There are different ways of doing things. I'm glad that you are you.
I really enjoyed the story too, just didn't have time to comment. You're poster and invitations are amazing by the way. You're such a good artist, I love it!
I like the posters and I hope they appreciate them because I do get tired of the same scrapbooky looking things.
I want to be a girl with twirly hair!
Your posters are great! I love it.
If I were in charge of an event and knew that you (or someone like you) could design poster and invites, I'd be THRILLED! I'm not a naturally creative person, so it would be wonderful to pass the creative part on to someone better able to do it! The bonus would be that the poster/invites look really good! Which they do.
Sorry, I know you posted a second part of the story, but last week was crazy busy for me and I only read the first sentance or so. I'll read it and comment right away!
Post a Comment