If there is one thing that defines my dad, it is that he is an avid coin collector and treasure hunter. Sure he has more faults than the average guy, and he offends almost everyone upon first meeting them, but you can't say he doesn't know his coins and his ancient history.
I have many childhood memories of my dad telling us random facts about this or that Holy Roman Emperor, which king was married to which country's queen, and which royal offspring were horrifically deformed because of all the inbreeding. Yes, I know all about Leopold the Hogmouth. And I've seen his lovely coin as well.
I've had to watch countless documentaries of recovery missions for sunken treasures, and we've all been been quizzed on the seven wonders of the world. (But don't ask me to list them today.) Our annual Christmas traditions include passing around a handful of coins that existed at the time of Christ's birth, and which "May have been handled by Cyrenius himself."
I must admit I've been impressed by 2,000-year-old coins bearing the likeness of Zeus, and I can't help but snicker when I recall several different people trying to impress me with some really old coins from the eighteen hundreds. Ha.
While these endless lessons on history may have seemed redundant at times, they did instill in my siblings and myself a great interest in history and learning, which thankfully spilled over into our school work and grades. Well, for most of us. It also caused each of us to go through an annoying stage where we all try to sound smarter than each other, and prove that we know more than everybody else. Okay, we're still that way...I guess thats where the holiday Trivial Pursuit game comes in.
As we've grown older, my dad has made attempts at passing his love of coins on to his children, especially his three sons. When my two oldest brothers were little, he bought them both child size metal detectors so they could go out hunting with him. It soon became obvious that Dain wasn't that interested in the hobby, but Thain would go out with him once in a while. I'm not sure if it was really that exciting to him, or if he was just glad to spend some time with dad? But then, Thain has always been the sensitive type. Maybe he could sense how much it meant to dad to have someone share his interests.
More recently, dad has tried to establish coin collections for the two of my brothers still at home. He has spent quite a bit of money and time trying to set these collections up. While Thain was on his mission in Slovenia, it seemed like my dad bought him a new rare coin every week. More recently, both he and my youngest brother were given sets of silver half-dollars and rare dimes, which took quite a while for my dad to accumulate.
Now let me tell you a little about my youngest brother. He's a smart guy, and just like the rest of us, he knows he's smart. But paradoxically, he could also be described as not being the sharpest tool in the shed. When he was a young kid, he'd do the stupidest things. He hammered a big hole in the wall in the basement, made knife holes all over the couch, and cut open his own mattress. He has a case of cleptomania, and a major problem with lying.
You'd think maybe he was an angry child, or had ADD or something to explain this behavior. But he always seemed completely normal, and would lie right to your face to deny that he did any of these things, even if you saw him do it!
He is now out of high school, and on the surface he is a normal, bright teenager. But he still does some pretty moronic things. Like when he spent his dime collection on food from Dairy Queen. Or when he spent his silver half-dollar collection on a singing valentine for his girlfriend and some more food for himself. (Yes, he had a job at one point, but decided it was too much effort to show up any more.)
When my dad realized that my brother's collection was missing, he thought he must have sold the coins at a pawn shop, or to a collector perhaps. He was angry enough...but when he realized that the coin collection worth hundreds of dollars had been spent at face value? I'm sure you can imagine the depth of the disdain he must feel towards my brother, not to mention the hurt and betrayal.
While I still love my brother, I can't believe he would do something so foolish and hurtful. And based on his history, he probably won't even acknowledge that anything has happened either.
To this day, my dad spends each night with his 'treasure' (yes, he actually calls it that,) spread out around him, as he handles and rearranges them for hours on end. My brother, Thain, dutifully preserves the coins my dad continues to buy him, perhaps saving them for his posterity. And my youngest brother? I don't think he's getting any more rare coins. At least not in the near future.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
That's hard.
Oh, and if you saw my husband with kids, he must have borrowed someone elses! I stayed home sick and kept the kids because we didn't want to try to deal with them stuck in the middle of a pew in the Tabernacle.
ah...well, the person was a long way away, and they had a little girl and a boy about your kids ages. To top it off, they had a bag that looks like yours that I've seen! I don't know what your husband looks like, so I was just guessing though!
that's one of the saddest stories i've ever heard... unfortunately i could see my 17 year old brother doing the same thing. what are we going to do with those boys?
I still have the coins that your dad gave me. They are some "really old" pennies from the early 1900s. I also still have the bus tokens from Cedar from back in the day. I will have to go look for them tonight and remind myself what they are.
It's painful to me that your brother spent the money at face value. Argh!
I agree with Alycia--that is so sad about your brother!
Your Dad collecting coins is really interesting to me. (I don't think I know anyone with a coin collection.) And to have some from the time of Christ's birth? That blows my mind!
It must be so neat to hold artifacts like that from different times and places and try to transport yourself back in time and think of what it must have been like back then... Wow.
This also makes me wish I knew more about history. The more I learn about history the more I realize how important it is to understand.
I had to go look up "Leopold the Hogmouth." Then I spent the better part of the afternoon reading about related European Royalty. Fasinating. That's terrible that your brother doesn't appreciate the value of those coins!
What a fascinating story. You know what? We all so stupid stuff but it's not so evident as what your brother did. I'm the queen of having said totally outlandish things. Once I said to a woman sitting next to me at a little league name, "Who would name their boy that? It must be a family name, no one would do that on purpose." Of course it was her son! And, she never said a word. I love her for that because she could have really made me feel awful. I felt awful enough as it was when I found out.
I don't know why I told you that story. It's late and I'm tired. My only excuse.
UPDATE: So, apparently my dad says he was able to get 2/3 of the half-dollars back. He had to bribe my brother $10 for him to tell where he had spent them, then he went to the business and paid them the same amount to get them out of the till. So thats good.
Alycia-I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Cardine- I didn't even remember that my dad gave you coins until you said that. I'm glad you still have them.
Heidi- I agree, history is important! It would drive me nuts when kids in school would say it was an unnecissary class.
Kara-I'm glad I inspired some learning! I should do that too and refresh my memory..I don't know nearly as much as I did when I was in High School.
Lynne- Thanks for sharing your story; your right we all do foolish things sometimes.
Hmm. I could have sworn I had commented on this post! I guess not. Now I can't remember what I was going to say.
Probably this...I think it's cool that your dad has such an interesting hobby. I always knew he liked coins, but I didn't realize how old his coins were! Really neat. Does he give you old coins ever?
julie- I have some pretty corroded small Roman coins, and he gives Joseph a coin every Christmas. But I must admit I don't take too good care of them, and I always forget I have them. But at least I didn't get rid of them!
I bet your coins would be a little harder to spend at Dairy Queen!
Post a Comment