Monday, March 31, 2008

Portrait step by step

Recently a friend of mine saw a picture of my daughter that I had drawn. He asked me to do some drawings of his grandchildren in the same style for a family history book he is working on. I've mentioned before that I'm not exactly a portrait artist (though thats what everyone always wants) but I decided to oblige my friend, since he asked so nicely.

He sent me a photo of two of these grandkids and told me to pick one and draw it, so he could see how they were going to turn out. (I'm not posting the photo because, well, they aren't my kids to post!)

For this project I'm using scrapbooking cardstock paper (I've decided most art papers have too much tooth for this technique, and this is just as archival), Prismacolor pencils, and one or two regular Crayola colored pencils to do the basic drawing (because they sharpen better and are easier to erase!) Colored paper is great for portraits or other colored pencil pieces, because the paper that shows through the drawing compliments the picture rather than glaring white and begging to be covered up.

First, I did a sketch of this guy (it scanned in lighter than it is) :



As I've told you, babies are hard for me to draw, and I didn't like the way this looked. So I took a stab at drawing his sister instead, on the back of the same page:



But I didn't like that one either. SO I went back to the first drawing, moved the eye on the right, and got to work! First, I always finish the eyes. I probably shouldn't because they usually have something that needs fixed, but oh well. Then I put in a few values in the hair and main facial shapes:




Hey, its starting to take shape! Next, I put in most of the hair, and started putting in colors around the edges of the face. I also add more blue. I find that using non-skin colors (blue, green, purple, etc) makes the picture more fun for me and more interesting to look at. The trick is not to use too much:



I decided the top of his head was shaped weird, so I fixed that, then added a background color. This helps so the pink paper color looks like part of the face, rather than just the paper. It adds nice contrast too. (I darkened this scan so you could see the colors better, its not really this pink!) I also started drawing in his blue vest:




At this point I felt the colors in the face were getting too 'cool' with the pinks and blues so I added some yellows and browns. You can see it mostly in the forehead. I also put some warmer colors in the blue of his clothes, so that it looked more natural with the other colors of the portrait:


By now, it looked very similar to the photograph, but portraits aren't very dependable for color accuracy. While it was a nice professional picture, the middle of his face was washed out by the photographer's lights. At this point, one has to rely on intuition and prior knowledge to fill in the blanks. For instance, foreheads usually have more yellows and greens, the middle of the face has more reds, and the jaw has more blues. For a baby, I would use more reds than usual in the bottom of the face, and not so much blue, because it looks like beard stubble!

I added blue to the hair because it was looking too yellowish compared to the face. I also added more color to the background to create a nicer contrast. There is a little more blue everywhere, just because I like it! It adds a nice transparent look to the skin.
And...voila!:



Of course this scan doesn't capture all of the exact colors, but it doesn't look too bad! Much better than the first colored pencil portrait I did in high school. But I only had a 12 color set back then:



17 comments:

Rhea said...

Wow, you're good! I loved following the process. Much better than my stick figures. lol

KieraAnne said...

I know you hate comments like this, but; Wow! That was cool! I wouldn't think to put those other colors in, but it makes it look really good. I didn't picture the process going that way or in that order or whatever either, but I guess maybe I"ve never really thought about it in that much detail. Maybe you should draw a picture of my family...after I get a good one for you to work from...maybe I'd pay you even. :)

Anonymous said...

That was amazing, to see the process unfold. Thank you for sharing that! You rock!

Mellissa said...

I remember sitting next to you in church and thinking, "Holy cow. How does she do that?" I still think the same thing. And you say you don't to portraits very well. Whatever.
It's beautiful. You could make serious money doing this!

tearese said...

Thanks guys... I thought it might be fun to try and explain what I did. I still have no idea how I would ever give art lessons to someone, but it was fun to think out what I was doing so I could explain it.
Missy- don't get me started on money! People have in their minds those street fair artists, and think you should do something like this for five dollars. Or..(and this is more common ) I get asked to do stuff by people I know, then they seem offended if I ask for anything close to the real value.
This individual has a history of giving me more than I asked for, so I wasn't too worried. Not that I wouldn't do it for cheap, they are a good friend.
(For those of you from my home town, its Ryan's dad that teaches Institute).

Cardine said...

I loved to watch the drawing morph.

Okay, so I have a confession to make. I thought up what I think is a really good story that I want to write, and my first thought was that I wanted you to illustrate it. Aren't illustrators of other people's work looked down upon in your field? Or would you possibly be interested?

Mellissa said...

It's sad that someone would mistake what you do for the value of a few bucks. I'm glad you're working with someone who is paying you and your talent what they are worth. Is this something you do on the side on a regular basis?

tearese said...

cardine- maybe. Actually, thats what illustrators due...hence the bastard child designation we discussed once. Everywhere I've lived, someone has asked me to illustrate something, but I never end up doing it becuase I'm not interested in their story enough, or I just don't have the time. So, maybe.
Missy- no, actually I do this very rarely these days. Usually just for people from church, but the last one was a few years ago. And they totally jipped me.

tearese said...

I meant 'do', not 'due'.

Joseph said...

Sure you did... mean do that is... =)

I think it would be great if you did a book with someone. I always want you to draw more.

julie said...

Huh. I somehow got the idea once that you wanted to illustrate children's books. I remember thinking that for years now. Hmm. I probably was out of it at one point and misunderstood?? Who knows.

Anyway, I also enjoyed watching the steps that you took to create the drawing. I'm always intrigued by the colors used because I would never have thought to use the combinations. Hence why I'm not an artist, I guess.

tearese said...

julie- yeah that was the idea...
but since I've graduated, I've not seen a project I would actually stick with and do.
Ideally, I would write and illustrate my own, but the few times I started something, I lost interest in that too.
I majored in illustration because it taught the widest aray of art classes, and I thought I would like that job over doing paintings for galleries or working in commercial or graphic art.
I would still prefer it over those other options...but I'm not very gung ho about it. I'm a dork, I know. I have no motivation.

Anonymous said...

You don't like comments that say wow and cool?? Uh oh... You must not like my comments, then! :)

I think you did a fantastic job--I love the lips and the way you captured his expression.

Kara said...

Wow! Cool! :) Seriouly, you are a very talented artist. Makes me want to draw something! I have to say I was a little surprised by that last one! But, if that was your first effort, it's really not bad.

tearese said...

heidi_ hey, glad you're back! I don't think thats what my sister meant....but who knows.
kara- lol, actually, I think it was the best one in my class, and I was pretty proud of that for a long time. It was drawn on some very dark mat-board, so I had to push hard and cover it all up, plus I didn't have any light colors. I guess thats how you learn!

julie said...

Tearese, I'm relieved that I wasn't totally off-base! I AM a decent friend. Whew.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

You do a really good job! Thanks for the tutorial.