We don't know if we're having a boy or girl, and we won't know until mid March. But some of you may recall that I did a post about boy names before Joshua was born. This list of girl names may be entirely superfluous, but if that is the case, I wanted to write about it before we did discover it is to be a boy (perchance). After all, I didn't get to do it last time.
So anyway...when we're expecting a new baby, we like to keep a running list of names that we like, and we don't actually pick the winner until we're within a month or so of the due date. We only have one or two that we like for boys, but several on the girl side.
Here are some of the contenders this time around:
Annie
pros:
- Elora loves the movie Annie, and she has consented to calling the baby "Elora Annie".
- Joshua calls all of Elora's girl dolls "Annie", because one is a Raggedy Anne.
- It would be really cute if she had red hair (though she might hate that).
- It was my sister's nickname from my dad when she was little (her middle name is Anne, and she had the curly red locks).
- Joseph's mother's middle name was also Anne.
cons:
- A common name, but then so was Joshua.
- We have friends with a daughter named Annie, but they live in New Mexico, so they're not too close.
- There's already a little red-head Anne at church, but we won't live here forever.
- She might actually get teased if she has red curly hair. But people thought they were clever to call me Pipi Longstocking when I had braids, which is much worse.
just kidding.
Eowyn
pros:
- Fairly unique.
- I was named after a warrior princess, Elora was named after a princess: it would continue a tradition.
- My brothers were all named from Lord of the Rings, so it carries on that tradition as well.
- It sounds cute with Elora.
cons:
- Everyone has seen LOTR, so they all know where it comes from. This might lead to teasing, or at least disapproval from some people.
- I read on a baby site that people think it sounds like someone saying "Aaron" but they can't say their "R's". I don't want everyone to think she has a speech impediment when she says her name! Not that anyone says my name right. Much. :)
Lila/ Lyla
pros:
- Its from one of our favorite movies, August Rush.
- It is also fairly unique, although its broken the top 100 list since that movie came out.
- It goes with Elora as well.
cons:
- Maybe it's too close to Elora, they'll be easy to mix up. But so were my brothers Dain and Thain. It's not a big deal.
- It sounds similar to Twyla, which is a very unappealing name to me. (no offense to the Twylas out there.)
Ember
pros:
- We thought this'd be a cool name after we saw the movie City of Ember.
- I like that it means smoldering flame, which is great if she's a red-head. Or has a temper.
- Another "E" name to go with Elora.
cons:
- For some reason, I sometimes associate Ember/Amber with mean snotty little girls, even though I can't remember any girls with that name in particular. (Note: this does NOT apply to adults with this name...all the adult Ambers I know are nice!)
- Because its similar to Amber, there is a greater possibility of girls with almost the same name living nearby.
PS I don't know why that one name is a different color. Sometimes I hate blogger.
11 comments:
LOL! I actually haven't seen Lord of the Rings and didn't even know what "LOTR" stood for. :) And I had no idea how to say "Eowyn" until you described it later on.
And it cracked me up when you said that about "Aaron." Because whenever I talk about baby names, I ALWAYS have to say them outloud how kids with speech delays would say them, just to see how it flows and knowing they'd be called that while they're a kid. It's the speech therapist in me that can't be contained. :):)
I kind of like the idea of "Ember", even with the red hair possibility. But the Annie one doesn't seem as cute to me... I love the name, but it seems like you're asking for teasing if the baby had red hair (especially if it's curly).
You have a lot of good, unique choices. If Riley would have been a girl (well, I guess we still could have used the name Riley, just spelled it differently), one of the names I really liked is Eowyn. And there are so many different names with different spellings, that they're going to be asked how to spell and pronounce it, even if its Bob (not for a girl, of course).
Heidi- yes well, not EVERYone has seen it...just a lot of people. Thats funny how you related to the speech thing..but at least it helped to understand how to pronounce it!
jill- thanks for the suggestion. My dna produces more auburn-red than carrot-red hair, but you're right, she might get teased for that.
missy-thats funny that you guys considered that name too! Hmm, why can't Bob be a girl name? Maybe I'll add that one to the list ;)
I don't know if you are looking for votes here, but I really like both of your "E" choices!
I had a girl name that I really liked picked out. I think that's the one thing that disappointed me about having a boy-I didn't get to use my girl name! :)
I had a great friend in Florida named Ember. It was really neat. I love names that are a little different, but still normal enough that people don't wonder what you were thinking. I love August Rush, too! We really liked "Lily" but it was just too close to our older daughter's name. Good luck!
I like Annie, but I wouldn't name her that, if you were going to call her Annie I'd name her Julianne, or Joanne or Marianne or Anne or something so she has a choice about what she wants people to call her later on. I already told you about that girl I knew in school named Ember...I like Lila/Lyla and I've never heard of anyone named Twyla. I like Eowyn but would worry about the Aaron thing as well as that people might try to call her Wynny..like in the Wonder Years.
My vote (for whatever it counts) is Ember. I really liked that movie, and I think it's a cute name. I also really like the name Jane.
I like the name Lila/Lyla. It kind of has a classic appeal to it. In reality, I like all of them, even Annie, in spite of it possibly creating some teasing moments. You can't avoid the teasing, no matter what your name is, it seems.
kara- thanks for your vote, I know what you mean about the names; I was excited for Josh, but had lots of girl names I liked.
Tirzah-I think we considered "Lily" for a while for Elora. After I wrote this, I remembered Joseph's brother lives with a girl named Amber, and my mom told me a cousin of mine has a daughter named Amber. I still really like Ember, but to me, that is two votes against it!
kiera- yeah, I thought of Winnie, but I associated it more with PeeWee's Big Adventure. Honestly, we'd probably call her Winnie too. Winnie the Poo.
Julie-Thanks for your votes! Your opinion always matters.
Cardine-I agree about the teasing, its not my biggest concern, really. I'm glad someone Likes Lyla.
I'm sure we'll think of more names in the next few months. Elora didn't appear until about two months before she was born.
Nice site to choose a name for your baby - cute baby names.
Post a Comment