Monday, February 23, 2009

Second Series: Portrait #2

This is the oldest of the four kids I am doing in this family portrait series. They've all got pretty blue eyes!




I like the angle he is framed in, and I like the little bit of shadow on his face. I know many photographers wish to avoid shadows, but in a drawing, I find it adds more interest and variety to the face, rather than a washed out shot. I guess thats why I prefer more dramatic lighting in photography too?





In this next one, I adjusted the position of the light reflection on his hair, to better show the shape of his head. In coloring the shirt, I am adding blue to the right side of the page, and lighter sienna colors to the left, so that the lighting on the sweater matches his face. These portraits are all going to be displayed together, thus the kids are all wearing the same colors...I might need to go get another few brown pencils!




This next scan is a little on the blue side. Oops. I'm starting to add the little details like the eyebrows, lashes, etc. I have to be careful they're accurate, or it might change the look of the whole portrait. The teeth are always a tricky spot too. (His lips aren't really that red in the drawing!)



Between these last two scans I made several minor adjustments to get the drawing closer to the actual model's face. I changed some small shapes around the eyes and made the lashes longer; I also filled in the details on the teeth. The nose didn't seem fleshed out enough so I also added some shape there. Adding the freckles really made it resemble him a lot more! This scan is a little light,but will have to do.



Sidenote: If you haven't noticed, I have a link at the top of my sidebar to my new art blog..you can see the same finished version of this portrait there as well.

8 comments:

Cardine said...

I really like these posts. And I'm glad that you have a separate art blog. That's a very beautiful blog.

Also, thanks for providing my music for work last week. I listened to your playlist for hours and hours.

julie said...

I really enjoy these posts, too. I especially like when you tell us what colors you use, because I never think of how you have to mix the colors to get a color. That doesn't make sense. I mean, I would never have thought to put blue on a brown shirt so you end up with the right color of brown.

Anyhoo, I love the freckles!

Doreen said...

I like the freckles, too. Makes him look exactly what he looks like! :o)

Doreen said...

That is impressive. I have always loved great art work and wished I could do something similar. Like Doreen says, it is nice to have such talented friends.

-Dave, dh

Okay, this is Doreen again. You should see the stick figures Dave draws in his journal. He's got great aspirations. :p

tearese said...

cardine- thanks, its always good to have some affirmation ;). And I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes my playlist.

julie-thanks..I try to make it interesting, because these drawing posts always get the least comments!

doreen and dave- I was all confused reading your comments till I realized it was Dave. Haha.

Joseph said...

I like these posts, too! I wish I had more time to do something with my blog.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You are so very talented.

kanaboke said...

I knew exactly who it was when I got to the bottom! I checked your comments to see if the parents commented and sure enuff I was right...You are AMAZING!!!