Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Why I Hate New Things

Joseph and I have been arguing for well over six months about the need for a new computer in our home. He insisted that ours was too old and dying, I was certain it was fine, and good enough for our needs. I hate spending huge amounts of money, especially when its not necessary.

He pointed out how it runs slowly when streaming tv shows online (I assert that this isn't the reason we have a computer anyway). He claims its a big problem that it won't recognize most flash drives (I suggest he do things the old fashioned way and email himself his homework, or just finish it at home.)

Finally,after much heartache and disagreement, Joseph won and we got our new computer just a few days ago. It's pretty enough: it came standard with a flat 19" screen, and all kinds of fancy updates built in. He got a good package deal, and its not like we spent our own money anyway, it was tax money we just got from the government. (And before anyone gets the wrong idea, like last year, we did NOT do stupid things with our W-4 withholding so we could get a big return- the government gives us money because we don't make enough money to even be taxed. Okay?)

Anyway, I think Joseph is pretty happy with his new toy, even though not all of our files and programs are transferred over yet,a nd we could potentially run into some more problems. For instance, we can't find our Photoshop disk (though it might not be a bad thing if we have to get the newer version now, especially with Joseph's student discount.)

But one thing I've discovered about myself: I hate new things. Even if it was something I initially wanted (which in this case, I didn't) I always find ways in which the former "thing" was better.

For instance. I hate this keyboard. HATE it. I don't know if its slightly smaller than our old one, or if it has something to do with the keys being more shallow, but I keep missing the space bar with my thumb....and my wpm have gone down by at least two thirds. Also, the other keys seem to be placed slightly off too, because I'm having to correct things way too often. Not that I need to be the best temp in town (my use of the computer is purely recreational at this point) but it is definitely a sore point. Literally: now that I'm starting to type more accurately, my thumb feels like its getting a callous from the poor keyboard design.

Another sore point: my files aren't on here, and when I put them on, I will have to organize them all again. My files are in folders within folders x 10, very carefully categorized, and I really don't want to find the time to get them that way again.

All my online bookmarks are gone. I went through and printed a list of all of them before we unhooked our old system, but I'm going to have to type them all back on.. and there are scores of them...many of them blogs that I don't want to put on a bloglist, because then I'd feel too obligated to check them. Not that I don't already.

My pictures aren't here. It's probably good to get them all off the hard drive so they don't take up so much space, but I miss my slide show screen saver that always came on...plus, if I want to pull up a photo to email or put on my blog, I'll now have to get out a disk or find it on another storage site, which I'd rather not do.

And okay, part of my problem here might be horemones. I must admit that when I'm pregnant, I want to kill people twice as often as I do normally. And then I want to cry because they don't understand why I am angry. Perhaps this new computer thing isn't so bad. It's just the baby that hates it.

That doesn't even make sense. But its okay. I can say whatever I want when I'm expecting.

8 comments:

julie said...

I'm not sure if I want to be pregnant or not. I'd love being able to get away with murder, but I'd hate wanting to commit murder.

I hope you adjust to the new computer quickly. It's hard to get used to new things sometimes, especially if you had the old item for a long time or used it all the time.

KieraAnne said...

Whoa! You can say whatever you want when you're expecting? Cool. I hate new stuff too I think. Maybe we're related.

tearese said...

Julie- I don't think you'd be that way when pregnant. Everyone is different, and I have a temper to begin with...it just gets magnified.
Right now I'm trying to make the church program, and Joseph got Works instead of Word, which can't do ANYTHING. I am even madder today!

Kiera- ya think?

Mellissa said...

I think you're right - it's the baby! Sorry about all the file transferring, what a nightmare! I hope you find and figure out all you need and want. Good luck.

julie said...

Yuck! I don't like Works, either! My boss tried to convince me to get Works on my work laptop but I wouldn't give in. I like Word. I know Word. Word does what I want it to do. I like that. :)

Cardine said...

Works should die a quick death.

Tearese, I love when you admit that you get angry. Because it makes me feel better about myself when I have thoughts of complete hatred for everything around me. What is with the hormones? Anyway, your W-4 commentary made me laugh. Why? Because I don't think anyone cares how you get the money, as long as it's legal and ethical, which it is.

Thanks for being real.

tearese said...

Blogger tearese said...

julie- I was just IMing Joseph at school, and aparently Works is the default program on the computer...he did buy WOrd, its just not set up to open documents automatically yet. (this is after I spent three hours trying to remake my document with that crappy program) All is not lost!

missy- I'm sure it'll be fine in a week or two, I was just happy with what we had before!

Cardine- I just remember last year when I did that post about my W-2s, someone advised me to not withhold so much money so that I could save it myself instead of letting the gvnt do it. It really made me mad, because that is NOT what we did. So I thought I better explain it this time...people really do think stuff like that and gossip about it, I've learned from experience!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Your last few lines had me laughing. You CAN say whatever you want and it was funny too. A bonus.