Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A History of Selling Art, or Why I Wasn't a Business Major

Or, "An essay on matters probably only cared about by myself."

I've never been very good at marketing, at least when it comes to selling artwork. In fact, a fear of asking for money is one of the biggest reasons I never tried harder to go into professional art of some kind.

The first drawing I remember actually selling was a graphite drawing of an elf to a fellow student for five dollars. That was in 11th grade, and I felt guilty asking for money, even though I knew real artists would ask for more. Of course I'd drawn things for other students before this, I was just a push over and never charged for them. (As would be the case many times thereafter..everyone thinks they deserve a special deal).

That following summer (1995) a teacher paid me to do scriptural illustrations for his masters thesis on Religion- I could have done so much better on my work, but at five dollars each (I think) for fifteen drawings, it wasn't too bad. I was sure my career was on its way!

Then followed several years of drawings with the expectation of compensation, but the more likely result being myself guilted into not charging the people who wanted the work done. You know, like the girl from church who had me draw a frog to give to a boy she liked , but then pretended like no money had been discussed when she picked up the drawing. "Oh, you're soooo sweet to do this for me for free! Really." Yeah. I know your game. I'm still mad about it too.

I had a moment of fame when the local Midsummer Magazine worked with our Illustration class at the University. We all did illustrations of that summer's plays for the Shakespearean Festival, and they then chose their favorites to be in the magazine. My drawing was chosen for the play, The Taming Of The Shrew (1998). I was excited to be published! But yeah, we didn't get paid.

And now I admit I'm a little embarrassed for following the editor's (and my teacher's) advice to add a little more to her bursting bosom. If she had anymore embellishment, she'd need another shirt! Okay, she does need another shirt. Yikes. Sorry.

My one big sell was the large painting I sold to the local Institute of Religion for a pretty sweet amount my senior year in college. The director of the Institute (the same man who years later would have me draw his grandchildren) asked me to name my price. When I nervously asked for an amount that was way too low, he confided that he expected to pay at least twice that amount. This was on top of the cost of the frame, which I was allowed to select (not a usual art deal) and which cost almost as much as the painting in the end.(I never did get a good photo of this painting.)

Alas, although the future looked promising, a venture in painting sells was not to be. Not that I was pursuing it (I haven't finished an oil painting since I was in school, I found I don't have the patience for the mess) .

I moved to Washington shortly thereafter (2001), where maybe two or three times a year random people from work or church would ask for drawings. Luckily I lived in an affluent neighborhood and I was smart enough not to be talked out of payment, but not smart enough to ask what the work was worth! For instance, my cousin's friend wanted a portrait of himself and his girlfriend to give her before he left for college:


He was happy with the drawing and very fair about paying what I asked.

Once , I did a drawing (for a lady from church) of her grandchildren in a forest setting. She asked how much I wanted, and when I quoted the price of $30, she gaped and confessed she was originally going to pay me $50 at least. But instead, she put away her $50 bill and wrote a check for $30. Wow, did I feel like a dork. And I was a little peeved at the lady for not just paying me the amount she had mentioned. (Unfortunately, I made no copies of this one.)

There were a few people at work for whom I did portraits and other drawings too. One young coworker was all about owning status symbols, and was glad to pay me $50 for two small black and white drawings measuring 5x7 each.



(He always bragged about how much he spent on clothes at "Coach", a store which I had never heard of but which is supposed to be prestigious.)

However, most of my other work contacts were more than happy to get a bargain for a drawing of family members (these are her children) ,




or friends, (This guy thought I should mat and frame the drawing or charge him less. And it was totally cheap.)

One temp worker even managed to pay me only half of what he'd promised (which wasn't much to begin with.)


He swindled others out of money too... I wasn't that upset because the drawing (of his son in the car) was kind of fun. My coworkers were more angry for me than I was!

And this weird guy just wandered into our department from another area (there were 1500 workers in our building) and asked me to draw his portrait. He got fired before he could pay me..I heard it was for wandering around when he was supposed to be working. Ha.


After Elora was born, the art business seemed to be going backwards, with small works done sporadically as favors for others, but nothing on commission.

Now, a year after moving here, things have sure picked up! As you know, I did the large series of portraits for my friend (for which I was given a small unexpected bonus) and the subsequent childrens' portraits you have seen here. By the way, I'd like to give a public thanks to both of my last two "clients" for the extra they gave me as well...it was very unexpected but very welcome!

Most likely, with the baby coming soon, things will peter off again for a while. But its been nice to know that there are people out there willing and anxious to have my work in their home. Thanks again!

7 comments:

Mellissa said...

That was fun to see all your past artwork. I totally understand about not asking what you're worth. I am the first one to admit I'm a complete pushover. I'm glad you've had a few good clients here and there.

KieraAnne said...

That was rude of the lady with the $50 that would have made me mad. I remember when you did that Midsummer Magazine pic...her bosom was certainly full to bursting...I liked her wasp necklace though, that was cool. Which cousin was that?

tearese said...

missy- yeah, I've been lucky that the last few people have been more than generous.
kiera- it was Mark's friend. The Wasp necklace was from my art history book, and I thought I was all clever because there was a line in the play about her being like a wasp or something.

julie said...

Part of the problem has to be that people can buy cheap, totally impersonal stuff at Wal-Mart. What you can give people is one-of-a-kind, personal-as-all-get-out, right-from-the-artist work and for that they should be willing to pay more. Your time, talent, and expertise is worth a lot. I hate when people have a get something for nothing attitude. Grrr.

tearese said...

julie- I totally understand it though, I know I've been guilty of it too. Like on our cruise to Mexico, a lady was selling hand made bags for $20, and a lady down the way was selling mass manufactured bags for five. I wanted the hand made one, but wasn't going to pay that much, so I got the one I could've easily bought in the states.
In our state especially, frugality is a huge part of our culture, and people want to live it even when its insulting to someone else.
Oh well.

KieraAnne said...

Yeah that's why I thought the wasp thing was cool 'cuz of that line in there about wasps and their stings...it was all dirty as I recall. I like the new trees picture.

Kara said...

My brother has sold some of his art, and has had a lot of similar experiences. It's nice that you've been able to find a few people who understand the value of your work. I wish I has money to spend on real art.
I like the new trees too!