I especially like that our bedrooms face south, letting in all the bright sunlight during the day. Being home....a lot....sometimes I find myself gazing out this window and daydreaming of different places.
For instance:
New York City

If I focus on this brick wall exterior, I am transported to an apartment in New York City (if I ignore the mountain). Joseph's basil plant is reminiscent of a hanging window planter, and I can almost hear the honking horns and people yelling down below. My sister and I used to say that someday I would live in a city apartment and have a neighbor named Mrs. Rosini who would make me spaghetti. Not that that's a stereotype or anything. I already did the city living (in Seattle) but its fun to picture what the single life in New York might be like.
Kansas
If I study this phone pole (which, by the way, I think would make a cool industrial style painting) I am transported to Kansas. Again, ignoring the mountain. The only time I've driven through KS was on our Christmas car trip, but I remember thinking how cold, windy, and desolate it seemed. The phone poles stretching off into the distance are so lonely mid-west to me. I'm glad I don't really live there.Mountain Lodge

If I actually do focus on the beautiful mountains and the trees near our home, I can imagine living in a remote mountain lodge. Just outside a herd of deer grazes in the meadow, a gurgling stream rushes by the window, and a rustic wooden bridge spans its rushing expanse. It helps that the trees closest to my apartment are aspens, the same trees that dot the Cedar Mountain trails of my youth.
Beach House

Finally, for some reason the late afternoon light falling across this section of wall always makes me feel like I am in a beach house. I don't know if it is the simple color scheme, the white-washed walls, or the particular way the light falls, but whenever I encounter this afternoon scene, I am transported to the beach. Sometimes I'm reminded of the beach house in Oxnard where we had our family reunion in 1999. The room Kiera and I shared was also white with simple watercolor paintings on each wall. Other times, I think of places like Whidbey Island, where I once stayed at a beach house near a beautiful driftwood strewn beach. Either way, I can almost hear the lull of the waves crashing not too far away.
So, tell me. Am I the only one who does this? Or do other people imagine these types of things on a regular basis as well?
8 comments:
I wish I could say I did that, but in my place, whenever I look out of a window, I see parking lot, my neighbor's kitchen window, and my patio gate. Sigh.
I actually have never done that, but I had fun visioning the scenes you did. I also love windows and I have to have my blinds open so I can have some sun coming in.
I do that too...but we're related. I think Mrs. Rosini was supposed to cook you lasagna not spaghetti. ;)
I don't, but wish I did. And I think it's wonderful that you do.
missy-depending on the angle, I see the parkinglot too! But we've been lucky in our last two apts. to have big grass areas as well. Thats why I recommend living on the second floor..you don't notice the parkinglot so much.
melanie-I hear you about having the blinds open, it definitely affects my mood!
kiera-oh. Well, I like spaghetti better.
sarah-thanks!
I don't do it, either, but I agree with Sarah. It's cool that you do.
Maybe I'll have to try it sometime.
I don't ever look out the window and think about other places, but I definitely look out my windows a lot! I agree with you, light coming in to my home is wonderful! Also, I like to sit on my porch and look at my view. And you're right, being on an upper floor definitely improves the view (although my parking lot isn't the worst I've seen (that would be the one in the apartment Sarah and I shared).
This was such a fun post!
Cardine and Julie-thanks for your comments. I can't believe Kiera and I are the only creative ones. Sheesh! Just kidding.
Post a Comment