Thursday, May 22, 2008

Reasons I Don't Sleep Well Anymore

  • The radio downstairs is on all night, every night. I think the station plays the same playlist each night after midnight.

  • I always think I hear Joshua crying. Sometimes he really is, but not as often as I'm listening!

  • I wake up and think Joshua is trapped under the covers and can't breathe (I did this when Elora was the baby too.) I sit up suddenly and grab Joseph's feet, because I think its the baby about to fall off the bed. Yeah. He doesn't like that.

  • I keep dreaming I'm on America's Next Top Model. In my dream last night, Tyra told me I'd lost a few inches since being on the show and I looked really good. (In these dreams, Tyra's my buddy.)

  • Joseph breathes too loud. He doesn't really snore (very often) he just...breathes. If he ever does snore, I pinch his nose or punch his arm. Don't worry, nothing wakes him up.

  • I always feel like I'm falling toward Joseph. Its not the mattress-its fairly new- he's just bigger than me. So I spend half the night arranging pillows to correct the situation.

  • Allergies. I didn't have them 'till I was 25, but boy are they bad now. The last few days its been almost like a bad cold.

  • About every two weeks, Elora walks into our room in the middle of the night. It only takes a minute to take her back to bed, but now I'm anticipating her arrival every night. So whenever I hear a little noise, I have to watch the door to see if its her coming in.

  • Oh yeah. Theres the little matter of Joseph's alarm going off at 3:20 AM. It actually wakes me up, then I'm his alarm. Blah.

11 comments:

Joseph said...

Those are all funny... except the last one.

Sorry I don't wake up to the alarm. I swear I do, but apparently I don't.

Bad husband!

=)

Chelle said...

While Dave doesn't have to wake me up when my alarm goes off, he wakes up every 9 minutes as I constantly hit my friend, Snooze. I think eventually he's just going to take it away and then wake me up when I really have to get out of bed!

Anonymous said...

Bummer! I hope you can solve at least some of your troubles!

I've been able to sleep like a log until about 4:30 for the past few days. I need more hours than that. This morning, I think I heard our dog whining, but I am still not certain she was actually awake!

KieraAnne said...

That sucks. I'm glad Patrick and me are about the same size 'cuz I hate falling towards people in the bed...I think we still did that when our bed was only a full, but with the queen there's actually a small raised portion between the two of us where no one lays...we've worn depressions into the sides. Okay that's all.

Cardine said...

Aw, I'm sorry! Based on our cruise experiences, I know that you like to sleep as much as I do, so I feel really sorry that you have a hard time sleeping.

My coworker says that he hasn't had a full night of uninterrupted sleep for over 12 years. Yikes! I am one of those people that gets really cranky if I ever wake up in the middle of the night. I usually can sleep a ton of hours without ever waking up, so when I do wake up in the middle of the night, my mind thinks that there's something really wrong and that automatically I didn't get enough sleep, even if I really did get enough.

tearese said...

cardine- you're right, I used to sleep really well, for hours on end. Unfortunately that hasn't been true since I got married, and its been worse since the kids came around. Guess thats the price you pay.

chelle- I used to do that when I was working.. I had to catch the bus by 6:00 AM,and I am not a morning person!
tirzah- maybe it will be better after the baby comes! Or not?
kiera- lucky.

Mellissa said...

I don't know if it will make you feel any better, but several of the items on your list, I share in the suffering. What I hate is when Ben starts out breathing quietly then slowly but surely escalates into very loud snoring. I usually go "SHHHHH!!!" and he quiets down. I have him trained very well.

tearese said...

missy- thats funny, I'll have to try that!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

When they are teenagers you will not-sleep for a whole bunch of different reasons. Enjoy these little wonder years.

julie said...

I hate it when I can't sleep. I used to be able to go awhile without getting a good night's sleep and still function decently. Alas, in my old age, if I go even one night without sleeping fairly well...I'm a litle (sometimes a lot) cranky and unproductive. So, I totally feel for you!

Is it true that marriage and kids = not sleeping as well??? Hmmm. That's definitely food for thought! Maybe being single isn't such a bad thing.

On second thought, maybe that's why I should've had kids earlier, when lack of sleep wasn't as hard on me.

Sigh. Oh well. I hope you get lots of nights full of good sleep really soon!!

tearese said...

lynne- thanks for the advice, I keep trying to remember to be thankful for them now..I look at pictures of my youngest brother and remember how annoying he was when he was small, but now he looks so cute.
julie-I know, there are definitely down sides to the lifestyle that people don't tell you about. I am cranky all the time..now I know why!
:-)