Saturday, May 03, 2008

New Couch

After repeated viewing of the video from a few weeks ago, the one of Elora and her daddy dancing , I decided there was something about our living room that was bothering me.

I finally noticed our old futon-couch was looking a little ragged and downtrodden. The sagging mattresses seemed to give our living room a slightly trashed look, even though the room really wasn't that messed up. I didn't like it. Not one bit.

Therefore this weekend we decided to remedy the problem. Our beloved futon- the one that had lasted through Joseph's bachelorhood as his bed, and our first four years of marriage as our trusty living room resting spot - took the long road to the secondhand store on Friday.
And its replacement is quite lovely, in fact I might even call the design quaint. Here are some photos:


It makes me think of a grandmas house. Not exactly my grandma, as her carpet was orange as was her furniture. But you know, it belongs in one of those living rooms with sheer curtains that are always closed , the dimly lit room filled with breakable knick-knacks and doo-dads . My living room isn't like that. But now it is a tad more classy. See, the kids like it too:


"Mother, this couch is like a breath of spring air wafting through the trees after the rain!"


"Awe mom, why may I not open this yogurt on the couch? Methought I might christen this floral cushion that it would feel more comfortable in our home."

The best part of the whole deal...the couch only cost $20! Because honestly, why would I pay for a $1000 couch when I still have kids this small?


6 comments:

KieraAnne said...

Not Grandma Norma...it looks like Grandma Betty's couch in lander...you know in the white room? It's pretty. Hey! I have sheer curtains that are always closed! Are you saying my house is like an old lady's?

Cardine said...

Wow, $20? That's a steal!

I think I now know why you like orange so much -- your grandma!!!

tearese said...

kiera- oh yeah..I think grandma Helen's house was that way too.
cardine- as I was typing this post I had that thought too.. her rocking chair and foot stool are in my brother's room now, and they're still pretty coo. But I must say, I didn't start liking orange until colege, I used to think it was probably the ugliest color. But that may have been the eighties-anti-seventies attitude of the day influencing me.

Skeller said...

hehe. Darling post - especially the yogurt on the new couch part ;-) Btw, your children's pictures on your sidebar are absolutely adorable. Happy Monday...

julie said...

Congrats on finding such a great deal! It looks like a really nice couch. Is it also comfortable? Because really, if it looks nice but isn't nice to sit/doze on...what's the point? :)

I used to hate orange too, maybe for the same reason. It's still not my favorite color, but I've grown to appreciate it a lot more.

tearese said...

julie- yes its comfy!