Thursday, June 26, 2008

Girl Hair

When random people learn I have a little girl, I often get this reaction: "Oh, you're so lucky! How fun to be able to dress her up and put bows and cute things in her hair!"

Seriously. Lots of people say this. Even a guy did once, and coming from someone not female, it sounded somewhat condescending.

I always think, "Are you kidding me? Does it look like I enjoy doing her hair?" This is what she looks like most of the time:


She does have very beautiful hair, it naturally curls and everything. But when I take pictures like this, I realize that it is always in her face. And messy.
Even when she was a baby I shunned the usual lacy headbands and bows stuck on her head with honey. I think she wore her very first hair clip when we were taking her one year old pictures:



But we didn't use them much after that.

Honestly, I always mean to do her hair. But hair styling is stressful to me; it takes lots of time, patience, and manual dexterity. Even doing my own hair causes no end of strife, really. I had my mom do my hair for me until I was in high school, then I just wore it down because I could never get it smoothly into a ponytail. I have the same problems with Elora's tresses.

Maybe it has something to do with hating babydolls by the time I was seven, or with cutting off my sister's curls half a dozen times before she was five. Or maybe its just because my mom spent so much time with my hair that I have issues. (You saw the pictures.)

I feel guilty about Elora though, because she has the potential to look so nice. Sometimes I do try to get her hair neatly coiffed, so she won't be shunned by her peers. I'll do cool things with little rubber bands, and once or twice I did this:



And it was very cute. Thing is, within a few hours, its all messy again and I feel like my efforts weren't even worth the time. We recently bought her some headbands as a quick fix, so her hair wouldn't always be in her face:



They look nice enough, but they're usually off within five minutes. And I think they're too small for her head.

So...I'm sorry. Its my fault. Next time you see my daughter looking like this:


You can blame her mother. (And yes, the neighbors have seen her naked outside recently. Don't ask.)

16 comments:

KieraAnne said...

Thats pretty funny...I remember your hair issues. Isabelle lets me put her hair in pigtails sometimes, but thats about all I can do with her hair as she doesn't have much. I think if Elora was my kid I'd just clip back the sides of her hair so it wasn't in her face...or get her a cute short haircut like a bob or something. :P

Kara said...

I find this post rather hilarious! You have no idea how many times I've been told how "lucky" I am that my daughter has so much hair. I've always thought it was fun to do other people's hair, but not when they won't sit still! And not all day, everyday. I'm with you, it's not as fun as it sounds! I do her hair more out of neccesity than enjoyment.

Anonymous said...

LOL! That sounds like an interesting story... :):)

denedu said...

That's too funny! I always laugh when I read your posts. hahaha I think she has beautiful hair the way it is. It has that amazing ability to curl all on it's own. Mine looks like a bad perm, but it's natural. My mom did my hair until I was 10 and he got fed up with me screaming every time she would comb my hair. Sooooooo...she made me get a hair cut. I've had it long a few times since then, but I have no patience for doing cutesy up dos and such. And now that it's summer and I have been taking nightly showers instead of morning ones my hair tends to have a mind of it's own. Thank goodness for hankies and headbands. hahaha

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You say the word naked and we can't ask? Phooey.

How I loved your "this means something," comment about the mashed potatoes. I laughed right out loud. Too funny. I think the movie came out in 1977.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

PS The hair is wonderful. The photography is also wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I have never done much with my own hair, either. I try to do Ellie's hair, but it gets so hard when all she wants to do is get away from me, while I am trying to hold on and pull her hair. I've done some really cute stuff with her hair, but most of the time it is a mess.

Oh, and I love that sidewalk chalk picture on the side!

kanaboke said...

man that is toooo funny! and i'm with ya on the whole part about how long it takes only for our girls to take their clips and rubberbands off....I think Hannah will appreciate my efforts more when she has her own daughter..hehehehehe!

Cardine said...

See, it's weird. I am in the camp of liking Elora's hair down, even if it's messy. It's little girl hair. It's so cute! My niece is five, and her hair is always messy because she's on the go and doing stuff! But I like it. I mean, yeah, comb it or do it for church and everything, but when kids play, they play!

Hmmm... maybe someday people will think my kids are unfortunate.

Mellissa said...

I'm in the same boat as Cardine. I think her hair is beautiful down and all around. It doesn't look messy, it has that windblown quality to it. And there is no point in doing her hair, unless she wants you to, because like you said in five minutes it's all gone! Either way, your daughter is beautiful!

On a side note, when I had my boys, I thought it would be great not to worry about their hair like I did with Melanie's. Yeah, right. All it does is grow and I cut it. Grow and I cut it. Vicious cycle.

tearese said...

well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't mind her hair down.
Naked story= she wanted to run in the sprinklers and thought she'd get ready outside, in front of all the little boys. Mommy was around the building and didnt see her. Luckily, another mom sent her seven year old daughter to take Elora up to our apt so daddy could put her swimsuit on. Later, she decided she was done and stripped right behind me, right in front of all the teenage boys in our neighborhood. This time at least there was a towel nearby for me to wrap her in.

Rhea said...

Naked outside. hehe

I love her hair, it's adorable curly and messy. Don't be too hard on yourself. Little kids who are all neat and prim and hair done nice make me nervous...

Jed said...

I gotta say, even as a guy, I really like dressing girls up and doing their hair with bows, etc. And Elora's hair is pretty no matter what :).

tearese said...

Hey Jed, long time no see! I saw you on my statcounter and wondered if you'd say anything. How are you enjoying Seattle? I loved living there.

Skeller said...

hehe. Girl Hair. I don't envy you at all. I have zero hair dressing skill, so it's good I have boys. Tho ... there is just something wonderful about taking pictures of girl hair....

~ej said...

my girl's hair is still growing in, and i'm so anxious to put it up in bows and barrettes and she's having NONE of it