Thursday, June 05, 2008

Life on the Refrigerator

Some people have their day to day life sitting on the kitchen counter, or a table by the front door. Others have their bedroom dresser covered with their life accessories. Our family's daily story can be read on the refrigerator door.




Beautiful isn't it. Oh, maybe thats not the word. Cluttered? Thats it. But it tells a story.



We have three cool magnets I made from my pictures at zazzle.com. I made some for my mom for mothers day and just had to have some for myself. Joshua's magnet is holding his cousin James' birth announcement, from my sister Kiera. He's pretty cute too.
There is one of my favorite photos of Elora, and below that is the admission form for Joseph to take the Praxis test on Saturday. Thats a test all prospective teachers must take.




Some bills and grocery receipts I need to take care of. I really don't buy "bakery items" very often (or I'd weigh a lot more than I do!)...but I went to get some egg roll wraps the other day and thought a blueberry cream cheese pastry was in order. Oh, and a psychedelic doughnut for Elora and an apple fritter for Joseph. Of course.



Some random word magnets. I have two big sets of poetry magnets sitting on a shelf, but I never put them back up after we moved...they always ended up on the floor anyway. My roommate Sarah and I used to write poetry messages to each other on our fridge in college, often themed around certain people that we 'liked'. It was a fun time.



Here is a baby shower invite for a neighbor, and a high school graduation announcement for one of my cousins in Wendover, Nevada. They're held up by a magnet my Seattle work friend, Huong, bought me in Hawaii. I should note that since I took this picture, the baby shower card has been replaced by a wedding announcement for one of Joseph's younger brothers:



Nice hat, huh? He's been married before, but this time he's actually having a ceremony. We hope it turns out good for him and his four girls. She seems nice, so we have high hopes.




This is the earliest picture I have of Joseph and myself together. Here we had been dating for only about a week, and my family came to Seattle to visit my cousins and me. This was at the Fourth of July parade on Bainbridge Island. The littlest boy is my cousin, the other two are my brothers. (Joseph and I already owned the matching shirts before we were dating.) My dad hated Joseph.. and wasn't too happy when we got engaged a month later. Good times. They're over it now, don't worry.


This magnet holding up my picture came from my job in Seattle at Airborne Express. The company no longer exists.



We often keep coupons for restaurants where we might go to eat. Most of the time, these expire before we ever use them. Once, another of Joseph's brother's was visiting us and we went to eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken. He was embarrassed that we had a coupon, and he pretended he wasn't with us when we all bought our food. I wasn't too worried about it because the two customers before us also had the coupon, which had come in a mailer.

Below that is a fire safety reminder we picked up at a Health Fair in Tulalip, Washington. I was working there at a booth for the Food Sense program. I still can't get over the people who thought drinking "caffeine free" soda reduced the sugar content, and they kept arguing with me about it. Hello.

Of course there are many more things stuck all over the sides of the fridge: grocery lists, notes for a poster I need to make for church, and phone numbers. But I'll spare you the monotony.

Where do you keep the notes of your life?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We need to have a good consolidated place to keep our life's notes. But not the refrigerator... I don't want to cover the pretty stainless-steel with stuff! ;-) Also, my husband would probably knock them all off as he has a bad habit of closing all doors much more forcefully than is necessary. We tried mounting a small magnet board inside one of our cabinets to hold our weekly menus and he knocked it off all the time. That lasted about a week.

Mellissa said...

You say your fridge door is cluttered but if you needed a piece of paper or some information on when or where something was you would know right where to find it.

I love magnets - especially those with sentiment. Ben and I have one from our honeymoon in Yellowstone. It's a picture of a bear wearing antlers in front of a sign that reads, "Do Not Feed the Bears," and the bear is holding up a sign that reads, "I am not a Bear." It's funny, but the memory of us laughing our pants off in the gift shop while people stared at us like we were crazy people (well, we are) is the part that I love.

One day I hope to have a board somewhere to have all my 'stuff' together. For now, I just have it here and there - mostly in my wallet and my head - one empty and one forgetful.

KieraAnne said...

Those are cool picture magnets...I want some..I like your Hawaii magnet and I like your airborne Express magnet too...I'm going to take a picture of my fridge too.

kanaboke said...

hmmmm, BEFORE I take a picture of my fridge, I need to get my clutter lookin more like your "clutter"...for some reason, my fridge notes actually LOOK like clutter!! :)

tearese said...

jill- I can't see you putting stuff on the fridge either, not just because of the nice fridge, but because it doesn't seem 'organized' enough for your personality type.

missy- thats funny about the magnet..hey, my parents went to Yellowstone for their honeymoon too!

kiera- feel free to do this too; I was going to do it as a tag thing, but no one ever does anything when I tag them, so I didn't.

kanaboke- you notice I didn't take a picture of the side of the refrigerator..it looks much worse!

Cardine said...

I have a pile in my room. It moves locations sometimes, but it's usually there.