
For a lot of people 30 might be a hard birthday, because you're considered "old" by the standards of our youthful culture. My dad told me his thirtieth birthday was very depressing for him.
I suppose I'm not as cute as I was around age one or two.... that might be upsetting for some folks. But it doesn't bother me too much. At least I don't have to wear shirts like this anymore. Except for when I'm pregnant.

At thirty, I may not be as cute as I was at Elora's age:

But in a lot of ways I'm happier with my disposition and looks than I was at sweet sixteen! I was definitely more creative then though. Check out all of my rings:

My twenty-first year saw a lot of action (academically that is). So I could feel somewhat accomplished at that landmark year.

Its easy to feel like you need to have reached all kinds of milestones by thirty. If I got too analytical about the big things I haven't done yet, I might be upset. So what about the little things?
Not only did I finally move far away from home , but I got my braces off and got contact lenses at the age of twenty-three. Now that is momentous. I even actually met someone I liked enough to get married, and I have two kids of my own! Thats pretty good too.
My birthday itself wasn't especially spectacular this year. We were watching money and couldn't do anything big..but we played at the park, got an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen, and went to the mall for the second time since we moved here.
I got to spend some birthday money on some cool new shoes there:

Beforehand, I also bought myself the present of two new bras from (whisper) Victoria's Secret. Its the first time I've had bras that I actually like and that fit me! But I'll spare you the visual of that one.
I got four different birthday messages on the answering machine: my sister and her daughter called and sang to me, two of my brothers called and sang together, my mom (who is visiting my grandma) called with her and sang to me, and my dad even called (he didn't sing). Who knew my family was so musical!
So, thirty. I haven't accomplished any huge major things in my life. But I have a family who loves me enough to call me, a husband who tried really hard to plan a fun day, and two kids who are almost as cute as I was:

(I'm totally kidding. I'm not that narcissistic.)
16 comments:
I turn 30 this year, too. It seems old, but then, it is really just a number. I still feel pretty young, except when I'm 8 months pregnant! (now!) I've been told I look young, too, so I guess I'm okay with turning the big 3-0. I'm glad you had a really fun day!
Oh, and I love the shoes!!
Hey! Cute shoes! ;) I'm sorry you're so old...'cuz that means I am too. ;) Happy Birthday!
I have to correct you on one thing. You HAVE accomplished something big!!! You are married to a cool guy and have two of the cutest kids around! Now that...now a days...is a hard thing to say...and a big accomplishment in my book. Especially, to be able to stay married in this day and age. I also have to mention that you had great taste in clothes when you were little. hehehe I say this because...I, too, wore the little "Holly Hobbie" type dresses and shirts and had a little pair of brown "Buster Brown" shoes that I loved. :) It's funny....these days I don't really look forward to my birthday...I just look forward to having really yummy cake! hahahaha :D
Happy Birthday!
I think I've celebrated my birthday in pretty much the same way for years. Dinner out and not much else. The last time I had a real party was probably when I was 5!
I keep thinking I should plan something special for my 30th. I've been building up to it long enough and I'm excited to reach the age. I want to be "old"!
Happy Birthday, Tearese! I remember birthday parties from long, long ago with you. Weird.
You were (and still are) a cute kid. I don't have many photos of myself when I was young. I guess that is both good and bad!
I think all adults should have a big blowout party once in a while - like we did when we were kids. Just to help us remember that birthdays should be celebrated!
tirzah- Yeah, I don't feel old at all. But as I mentioned in my shoe post, I don't really dress that adult I guess.
kiera-thanks!
denedu- yeah, I know. I was kind of talking tounge-in-cheek; I know having a family is a huge accomplishment, but not necessarily by the world's standards. I think my mom made all of those clothes in my pictures.
jill-I'm not big on parties, so my birthday was fine. I love that you have all those goals to finish by thirty, I don't know if I'd have stuck it out and accomplished any of them!
missy- We have pictures of you at my birthday parties! I just remember most of my parties sucking because I was really shy and my mom didn't like to plan parties. So it was left up to me to do stuff at the party so I think word got around that my parties sucked. I remember my worst party was when you and Shane were the only kids that came and I had invited like twenty. My mom got mad at me for being inside crying and made me go play with my guests...I didn't have any big parties after that, it left a pretty sour taste in my mouth.
-We have TONS of pics of me as a kid, since I was the oldest. These all came from a binder my mom made me of all my professional photos from newborn through 12th grade.
ps I fixed all the old photos in Photoshop, because the originals are very yellow or orange! I can't believe how much nicer these turned out!
Happy Birthday! Love the tie dye shirt, lol. :p I turned 30 this year, too. No gray hairs yet. Wrinkles aren't bad, either. Maybe by 40? Now THAT sounds old. :p
Oh, blast. I always get confused about your birthday. I know it has something to do with celebrating my dad, and his birthday is July 19. But, duh. Your birthday is around Father's Day. Sorry I missed your birthday. Happy belated birthday!
Happy Birthday! We just "celebrated" Aaron's too. (No cake though) You were a cute kid! I love all those red curls! I like your choice of birthday presents. The shoes are cute, and, well, who doesn't enjoy having a good bra!
Happy Birthday, and cute shoes! It's fun to see you as a kid... and how much you looked like your kids! Cute kids must run in the family. :)
doreen- I have a few white hairs that keep coming back...
cardine- my bd is on the 21st...its the longest day of the year!
kara and alycia- thanks! Isn't it weird how I look like Joshua when I was one! I already knew I looked a bit like Elora though.
happy birthday!!!! i'm glad there were some good things that came from your birthday like shoes and bras. every girl could use those. you were such a cute kid!!! happy birthday again
Happy Birthday!! I turned 30 last year, and it was fun.
I love all the photos of you. You were just adorable!!
Love the new shoes too. :o)
Happy 30th Birthday to you!!! I absolutely LOVE that last pic of you, it is absolutely adorable..especially with that bit o' tongue hanging out...and I LOVE WHEN I BRAS THAT FIT ME RIGHT (and it helps when it actually puts you back "aright"..bwahahaha). And cute shoes too btw.
I'm with Cardine - sorry I missed your birthday! Happy Birthday!!! I've always confused your birthday, too - I thought it was the first part of July! Don't ask me why.
Anyway, I'm glad you had a nice birthday. I love the shoes! Thirty is a piece of cake! I think it has a nice ring to it.
Post a Comment