What I don't like is heat. Sweat. Allergies. Boredom.
True, the boredom thing isn't nearly as much of an issue now as it was when I was still a teen. Elora and Joshua take care of that, even when I would prefer they didn't! We've fed the local ducks, gone to a few parks, and the lake. Thats entertaining enough:
But in years past... I never had a summer job until I was in college (I applied for a few, but its hard to get a job in a small town when you don't know somebody. And you refuse to work in fast food, or on Sundays.) Every summer I was literally counting down the days until I could be back in the classroom.
Sigh. I love school.
It didn't help that I had an absurd fear of calling people to ask if they want to hang out, so I'd spend the day hoping someone else would take the initiative and call me. Okay, sometimes I still do that.
I've always hated any team sports (both watching and participating), swimming or getting wet (my glasses used to be a big reason for this) , and I rarely had money to go to a movie. Besides, who would I go with? Unless it was a family vacation year, all I had to look forward to was long days in my basement room (the only cool place in the house) or sitting under the front yard tree reading a book. I enjoy a good book, but there's only so much reading you can do in a day! Even years later when I had some good friends to hang out with, their job schedules were different than mine and it wasn't until nighttime that we could all get together.
I have never lived somewhere that is air conditioned. Currently, our apartment thermostat says it is over 85 degrees in here with the fan on. I suppose thats better than the 95 it is outside....but not by much. Since moving back to a warmer climate, I have informed Joseph that when he is done with school there is no way we are moving somewhere hotter, like Arizona or Texas. Wyoming and Montana don't sound too bad, weather wise. I can stand a little snow more than killer heat!
Allergies..I didn't have them until I was 25 years old, and each year they seem to be getting steadily worse. This summer I can hardly go outside even if I want to do so. I've had the usual nose and throat ailments, but my eyes have been so swollen and itchy I considered clawing them out last week. Luckily I found some ocular antihistamine so I could start wearing my contacts and a little makeup. Now I don't have to feel like this so much:

Yes, I believe the only time I really enjoyed the whole summer was the years when I lived in Washington. Between 75 and 85 almost every day: how perfect is that! I think in western WA you learn to appreciate the summer months more than before, because the perfect weather makes up for the nine months of darkness. Not only that, but there are places to go and things to see. You can find a beach every few miles, there are cultural attractions, and plenty of parks. As long as you don't mind homeless people. Even at my workplace downtown I could sit out on the balcony and look out over beautiful Elliot Bay, while I basked in the not-too-hot sun during my lunch breaks.
When we lived in Everett, Joseph had long breaks between work and school in the middle of the day. We would often take a jaunt down to a beach to find mini-crabs under the rocks, or to have a picnic. There was also an awesome forest trail right by my workplace, so sometimes when he came to get me from work we would take Elora for a little hike under the trees.
Back when we were dating, Joseph worked at a bank in the Roosevelt district north of the UW. I got off work a few hours before he did, and I'd take the bus to the park near his job where I'd take a nap in the grass, write in my journal, or read. (The fifth Harry Potter book had just come out, I believe.) Before that, I used to take a bus that didn't go directly to my home so that I could walk along the Burke Gillman Trail every day. If I didn't stop under the Montlake Bridge to watch the kyaks, then I would go on to the arboretum and look for turtles on logs, or take pictures off of the docks.

Wait, I think I've posted this picture before. Here's a new one:

Wow I loved that place. I guess thats why I keep mentioning it.
I only recall one summer in Washington that seemed unbearably hot. But that was when I was pregnant with Elora, had been layed off from my job, and was home and incredibly bored. Thats when I drew this on the computer to illustrate my anguish:
See, the guy standing represents the sun, or the heat. And the other guy represents the suffering of humanity. It's very avant garde, don't you think? Never mind.
So no, I don't completely hate summer; I have some awesome memories of this time of year. I just don't like to be hot, sweaty, and allergic. Give me some crisp autumn air or some barely budding trees and I'm much more at one with the world.
How shall I solve this problem? Hmm, Maybe I should buy a summer home in Seattle. I think I'll get right on that. (Everyone sing with me: "The bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle....." Its in my playlist if you don't know what I'm talking about. And hopefully it works, unlike most the rest of the songs on my list. )
14 comments:
I love my a/c....I think I would have moved back to Utah or somewhere within the first month w/o it. I agree about summer. My visiting teaching partner both years has asked: "Are you excited for summer?" She is a stay-at-home mom like me with little kids so I don't understand why she looked forward to muggy 120 heat index days. She in turn didn't understand why I hated summer. I would totally move somewhere with a real winter, but Patrick feels as strongly (or more so) about cold as I do about heat and since he's the one with the job... I'd totally come visit you if you lived in Montana or Wyoming...you should buy grandmas old house and move to Lander. ?That would be funny. :P
I would love to say our summer spent in Vancouver was great, but we managed to bring the heat with us. That summer we lived on the 3rd story and there was record heat. It was miserable.
I don't mind the heat, as long as there is a/c to cool off with after. The past two summers we were in Panguitch, and although it was cooler and we didn't have a/c, it was still yucky. However, I would take the heat over the snow any day.
And the picture of Gollum, I occasionally feel the same way, but during the winter. Too funny - you really had me giggling.
I feel your pain. Last summer I lived in my bedroom with the A/C turned up. I'm sure everyone thought I was being antisocial or something, but being pregnant I felt I would die or melt away anytime I went outside. Today was really nice at the lake. Too bad it's not closer. :( I guess that is one reason why I can't wait to move into our place that is suppose to have central air. Oh, how that will be. I've never lived in a place with central air. But then again...being from California...I've never needed to. :) Another reason why I bought the baby pool...not for the baby, but for me to soak my feet in. hahahaha :)
Great artwork!! lol
I can't imagine life without A/C, then again, I'm in Texas.
Allergies can totally kick my butt. Didn't use to, but they grew apparently.
Utah is nice and we don't get all the rain that Seattle does. Yup, you should move to Utah, for sure.
I can't say I like the heat, but I don't think it's worth the dark winters in Seattle. Cold I wouldn't mind too much, but the 9 months of darkness always got to me. Although, summer's there are beautiful.
Thankfully, we have a/c. It would be crazy not too here! It's been around 105 for the last week and a half. Sorry you don't have a/c. I always missed it in WA.
How come we never did anything together in Everett if we were both sitting around being bored-and just across the parking lot from each other?
kiera-amen sister
missy-yeah, living upstairs isnt as fun in the summer; we've lived on the second floor twice, and the third floor once. Its way too hot in the summer! But at least people can't look in your windows.
denedu- I wish the lake was closer too!
rhea- you're lucky you have ac!
lynne- I thought you knew- I live in Utah right now!
kara- the winters didn't bother me until the last year or so that we were there...
and honestly, even if I'm bored I can be anti-social soemtimes..sorry! Plus, well, I was afraid you'd try to sell me something.
Oh, this makes me laugh.
I totally understand about Gollum. I feel that way a lot. Really, I do. I can hardly be outside in the sun anymore and have my eyes open. I really am turning into Gollum.
So, I really liked the art. It's totally impressive, especially since I bet you made it with Paint.
Also, it's weird but depending on the year I have bad allergies or I don't. I can't explain it. It hasn't been bad this year.
Ha ha ha. I so could have written this post. I agree.
Ha, ha, did I ever try to sell you something? I don't remember.
I had no idea you lived in Utah. My son and his wife live in Smithfield.
I guess I'm a Utahan through and through. I'd love to live in a lot of places but only for a short time, my heart is here.
I hope you figure all this out. The allergy bit is daunting as is living in a house at 85 degrees. Can't you buy a swamp cooler? They are noisy beasts but we lived with one for years and they are cool--as in they produce cool air.
Good luck!
Ah the arboretum. We just bought a house up the hill from the arboretum. I'm sitting on the balcony looking at the trees right now actually. I LOVE this part of town. And I love that I just have the windows open and cool air is flowing in. Summers in New York were very warm and quite humid, but not as bad as people tell you they are...and of course I am LOVING Seattle's summer weather. Even when it was 91 degrees at Pride yesterday! Come get a summer house up here :).
I developed allergies when my family moved here - I was 10 and have had them ever since. For me, they start the end of May and last through June. Today is July 1st and they're already disappearing.
I've lived without a/c and it isn't fun, so I sympathize with you a lot! My new home has central air and I'm still trying to get used to not opening up my windows every night to let in the cooler air!
julie- how lucky for you! I bet you love it.
lynne- You probably didn't read my blog yet when I talked about moving here..I guess I shouldn't just assume people know. Thanks for the suggestion; unfortunately we live in student housing and its against the rules to use a cooling unit that requires you to take out a window screen.
jed- you must live really close to the house where I used to live (East Miller, in Montlake). My bus used to go right through Capital Hill and across Broadway. Very colorful. Glad you're enjoying your new home.
Post a Comment