Sunday, November 09, 2008

Portrait #13 Baby boy

I think I liked this little boy because he was as bald as my little boy. But probably younger by quite a bit. Because I didn't have hair or detailed clothes to draw, this portrait went suprisingly fast. Of course he has blue eyes:



The photo had a bright flash, so his face was pretty washed out and white in the reference. But it wasn't too hard to guess the color scheme of a blue eyed baby. I went with rosy cheeks of course. Its a little darkened here to show up in the scan:



In this next scan, I was messing with the color balance in addition to the contrast, and I think I went a little too far into the yellow field...obviously. It did help more of the color spectrum show up on the drawing though. He had some subtle wrinkles just below the hair line on the right side of the picture. I wanted to make sure I included these to get the expression right, but not make them too dark or they'd look odd on a little baby:



This last scan does have a lot more color variations in the face, though its hard to tell. I almost left out the snaps on the right hand side on the shirt, but I decided to include them to make the shirt more interesting. I made the lips and tounge darker too, to add more color:


This is the 13th portrait, and the last grandchild for this client. I still have the one I am re-doing, after which I will post a review of the whole series together.

5 comments:

Mellissa said...

You've captured his bald and chubby cuteness very well. Does it feel good to be almost done with this project? How long did it take you to complete it? They've all been great. I hope you find more because I will miss seeing your wonderful artwork.

tearese said...

missy- yeah, I'm glad to be almost done, but I'll miss having something I need to do everyday. I think I started this in April sometime so...eight months? A little longer than expected, but its mostly my fault. I tend to skip a week or more between starting them, because my house falls into disorder whenever I work on one of these!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

That Grandma will have a treasure and when the kids are grown they will be able to bring their brides and grooms to show them the wall of children. The portriat is beautiful.

julie said...

I think this is such a neat idea! I know my mom would love portraits of her grandkids. It's been fun seeing all your work - I look forward to seeing the last one!

tearese said...

lynne-thanks, I hope they like them.
julie-I'm sure my mom would like something like that too...maybe in ten years or so when all the grandkids are actually here. If I'm not too lazy.