
#2. I remember how much trouble I had getting her head right, and how many drawings I started..how frustrating. I like how her face colors are porcelain-like, and I love how her golden hair turned out.

#3 This one was the first with the white-blonde hair, and I wasn't sure how to get the color right. I fixed it a little once I got the hang of things, but its still a little too lemony to be believable. I like how the texture turned out on her collar:

#4 This is definitely one of my favorites. I love the beautiful background in the photo, and I like how realistic his face turned out. Of course, I regret that I used carbon paper for his whole face outline, so I can't take complete credit for how good it may be. I like the zipper on his jacket too. This is one where I went back and made the hair a bit darker after the post I did, and it improved it:

#5 This is one of the better girl portraits. The details on her face turned out well, especially the freckles and the shapes under her eyes. One thing I regret is how huge her head is on the paper! They might have a hard time framing this one, without buying a specialty mat or something.

#6This is the oldest of all the portraits. I love how his shirt and the background turned out...they took a lot of time, so I better like it. His face seems a bit pale, but its probably just because of the red shirt. I also used that carbon paper for the outline of this face:

#7 This may be the most polished of the portraits. I spent more time getting the details finished on this face, and all of the colors and reflections just right. I don't like the background though, and wish I'd done less with it to help balance all the work on the face:

#8 This is where we got the new scanner, if you can't tell. From here on out, the complete color range isn't visible in the scans, even though I was able to manipulate the manual settings to make them a little brighter. This portrait had lighter fresher colors than the last one, which I liked for his happy face. Too bad they don't show up:

#9A-This is the one I thought turned out so good, but then was told it looked too old. What does that mean anyway? My theory is this photo was taken too close up and her face is distorted from the camera... it looks a lot different from the other reference photo I was given. So I guess I get to keep this copy:

#9B- There was a lot I liked better about the first version of this girl, but in this one I like her brighter eyes. I don't know that I did much different, but apparently it looks more like the actual model.

#10 I like the background in this one; I was getting bored of doing the same thing. I also like how his fluffy hair turned out. I was told later that his cheeks weren't round enough, but I'd already sent it in the mail. Confidentially, I thought they looked fine. Hopefully his parents will think so too.

#11 I don't like the scan on this, but the portrait itself was okay. She also had white blonde hair, but I did much better at capturing it here. I especially like her hair under her ear on the left of the drawing. Her skin tone turned out nice and even on her arms and neck too, which took a while. I also like the color variations in her brown dress :

#12 I liked this girls face because it was different from the other kids. Her skin tone was also different, more yellow than pink. This one had bad photos for me to work from, so I was happy that the portrait turned out remarkably better than the photo.

#13 I wonder if I may have hurried too fast on this one. It looks fine, but the colors aren't as built up as in some of the earlier portraits that I worked on for a longer time. But then again, it could be the scanner. I like how his hair turned out, and the colors in his shirt.

So what do you think? Do you have a favorite, and why? I definitely sharpened my portrait skills with this project. While I am finished with this series, I do have a few other similar projects waiting in the wings.
10 comments:
Great job on all of them--it was neat to see them all together. I realized I prefer the ones where the background is completely colored in, like #4 and #5. They're my favorites because the full backgrounds compliment their eyes so well and look more like a completed project. Does that make sense?
I like 4, 8, 10, and 11 the best...and the last baby too. I like the girls hair thing in 11, I like 10 'cuz he looks like my nephew and I like 4 and 8 'cuz they look the most real to me. I think 4 is my most favorite 'cuz the background is really cool looking.
Actually, I think I like 9B the best. It seems very well done, and I like the subtlety of the colors.
You are so talented. I am amazed.
They're all great, but my favorites are the one with the girl in the red sweater, whose head you think is too big on the page, and the last one of the chubby baby with his tongue hanging out. Looking at all those photos - you had a lot of work to do. Great job!
my fave is the boy with the zippered blue sweater. I have to agree with you ~ i love the way the background turned out!~
I love all of them, you are such a great artist!
thanks for your input everyone, its interesting to see the different points of view.
heidi- thats interesting that you like those portraits for that reason. While I love #4, I have always admired artists that had a more sketchy style, and have been trying to get away from that 'more complete' look, which I don't like as much.
cardine- thats also interesting that you like 9b best...I guess thats good,because its the last one I finished, so that would mean I got progressively better. But when I look at it, it doesn't seem special to me.
thanks everyone!
GASP! What breath taking work. This is my first time here and wow! what beautiful talent.
I love who you captured the eyes in #2.
thanks for coming by and commenting, Beth!
Not being able to even adequately draw stick figures myself, I'm completely in awe of your skills. I think these are all beautiful.
Post a Comment