Thursday, November 20, 2008

Update in Soundbytes

My brother Thain is coming to our house for Thanksgiving. Dain might possibly come too, but you never know.

I'm excited, except for the gas money to go pick up and take home, two hours away.

I don't think our oven can hold a turkey, its only half sized. How can you make a whole Thanksgiving meal in a half size oven?



I've been working on our Annual Newsletter. I always feel like a dork, because I have nothing to say..just like two sentences....about me, but there are tons of things Joseph has been doing this year.

I worry that his family thinks I don't do anything all day. (They're all boys. At least I don't have the pressure of having a mother-in-law.)

Speaking of which, Joseph's brother is visiting us the week before Christmas. I worry about entertaining him while Joseph is at work...at least he doesn't have school that week!

This brother has some different lifestyles and values than us, but he's really nice. I'm worried he'll be bored in our conservative, smaller town. I probably shouldn't worry. He's the only one out of J's five siblings that ever visits us. Though he's never been to this state before.

I'm working on two drawings as Christmas gifts. I'm trying to motivate myself to finish them.

I want to visit my sister in Texas for Christmas. We don't have enough money. But we still want to go. But we're entertaining my brother(s), then Joseph's brother (Whom we'll be picking up at the airport two hours away), and that will drain our money further.




We would definitely drive...I looked at airline tickets, just to see, and I almost died. Ridiculous.

I'm mostly excited about driving through states I've never been in. Make that nervous. Aren't all the 17 car pileups in the Midwest in winter?



I'm tempted to just go anyway, and hope it works out itself. But then we might not be able to pay our bills for December. Darn it.

Not to mention buying Christmas presents.




I'm not worried about the kids: between us, my parents, and Joseph's brother that is WAY too generous with his nieces and nephews, they will be perfectly happy for Christmas. But Joseph is a big kid, and wants good presents too.

It drives me nuts.

At least he doesn't want electronics...oh wait, I'm sure he'd like them, but he's smart enough to know its not practical.



Why can't he be happy with getting wrapped candy bars as some of his presents? My parents always did that. But then, they never spent more than $100 on each of us. Ever.

I think I should implement that policy too.


(yay for candy bar presents!)


I should remind Joseph to buy presents before December 21st this year. Boys.

7 comments:

KieraAnne said...

Where am I in that picture? I was wearing mom's mickey mouse hat...(I have that one but with me in it.) I think you should just come to my house and not worry about silly things like bills and presents. ;) That's nice that Thain and Josephs brother get to visit you but I wish they wouldn't drain your precious Texas money resources. We had a little half sized oven in our apartment, it was...interesting. I remember trying to put a round pizza pan in there and having to balance it on the grooves for the rack on either side. Fun, fun.

tearese said...

there are two pictures. One with us holding candybars, and one without...at least I have two. I think you might be in the other one I have. There might be three.

Mellissa said...

That's great you have company coming to spend time with you and your family, but unfortunate that it's draining your resources to see Kiera. (Would you tell her I'm SO SORRY for how mean I was when we were little. I was absolutely horrible and I'm sorry.) Anyway, maybe things will work out for your trip and that can be your Christmas present. I've never seen a non-white Christmas. Did you have them in Seattle?

Kiera said...

I could have written that post myself...so many things in common. At least gas is reasonably priced for now. That should make the driving a little less expensive.

tearese said...

Missy- we had both white and wet christmases in Seattle..when we lived in Everett (just 20 min north of Seattle) it snowed quite often.)
Kiera- yes, the gas prices lately have been a happy thing!

julie said...

Oh, I hope you get to go to Texas to see Kiera! You sure have a busy holiday season coming up - I hope everything goes well. Sounds like you'll have lots of fun! :)

kanaboke said...

oh my gosh, candy bars or cool hats? that is one funny pic! love it!