This last Fall some new people from church invited us to dinner. They invited a few other couples over as well; people who I know but not very well.
We had to come late to the dinner because of Joseph’s work schedule, so I felt a little awkward knowing everyone else had been there for quite a while getting better acquainted. After dinner, one of the guests mentioned that they work at a facility where they test carnival rides for children, and there was one in their warehouse ready for people to ride; it had been fully tested.
Everyone decided they wanted to take the kids to go try it out! We were a little apprehensive , because we thought our kids were too little to ride it anyway, and we had just arrived at their house not to long ago. We went along anyway, figuring we could watch. Besides, they were planning on playing games later at the house, and we didn’t want to just go home.
The ride consisted of seven seats in a row, the center seat being adult size while the others were obviously fitted for children. The seats would rise into the air, and then plummet a ways and bounce back up, repeating this process several times. I think it was called “The Frog Hopper” or something. The first group got on, including a few kids who were a little older than Elora but about her same size. They seemed to enjoy the ride, but Elora didn't seem interested; she was afraid that she would fall out if she got on.
Different combinations of people rode it several times, including some adults. Finally, when they said it was almost time to go, Elora decided she wanted to ride if I would sit next to her. She didn't want to miss out! We climbed aboard and I held her hand, thinking she would probably ask to get down almost immediately. When they started the ride up I braced myself for her crying or clinging to me. Was I surprised when she wasn’t crying, but actually shrieking with laughter! She thought it was great! Her reaction was much more pronounced than any of the other kids who had gone, and the adults all found it very amusing.
Meanwhile, Joshua had watched the first load of people ride, and it had terrified him. Joseph had taken him out to walk in the parking lot, because sensitive Josh was truly worried about all those kids jerking up and down. When Elora got on, we think Joshua must have heard her laughing, because he started gesturing for Joseph to take him back inside. When we climbed back on for a second turn, Joshua watched with interest. This time instead of crying, he also screamed with laughter because he saw that Elora was having so much fun!
When it was time to go, he ran up to the machine and was trying to climb up. We let him sit in it for a minute, and he was furious when we took him out! He was arching his back and reaching for the ride, trying to get back in.
It was a surprisingly fun evening for all.



9 comments:
Yeah, I knew no one would care about a story this old.
Hey, give me a second, would you? :)
I think it's funny how younger siblings shadow their older siblings so strongly. Sometimes I think it's because they want to be just like them, and sometimes I think it's because they feel the need to be up to the standards of the older sib. How did you like the Frog Hopper?
I think it's funny they have only one seat for an adult in the middle. I'd feel all self conscious if I was the only adult on the ride...like I was mentally handicapped and they were nice enough to let me ride the kiddie rides or something...not that you look that way. ;)
Sometimes it just takes us awhile to be able to comment! I read this yesterday but someone came in right as I was going to comment and the rest of the day was busy.
I agree with Kiera, though, I'd feel awkward about being the only adult, seated in the middle, kind of sticking out like that. Did you enjoy the ride?
yes, it was kind of weird being the only adult in the picture! But actually, other adults rode in the kids seats at other times, so it wasn't really like that. I think I was a little self conscious..thus the crossed ankles and hands!
Thanks for commenting you guys..I just always get discouraged when I see on my statcounter that half a dozen people that I know have already looked at the post and no one was interested in commenting!
Sorry, I'm just slow to read people's blogs lately. It was a cute story! For us, it would be the younger sibling wanting to ride and the older one afraid to get on. William is afraid of falling. He freaks out if Aaron lifts him up. Elora looks like she's having a great time!
Thats okay Kara, with a little baby its a lot harder to find time for things like that. Thats funny about William.
How fun! The "T" family is so nice! Sorry I have been crazy busy and have sick kids. That is why no comments from me.
tnr- don't worry about it! Hope you guys are all feeling better!
Post a Comment