Monday, April 27, 2009

Brothers

It seems that Elora and Joshua will be having another brother in just a few months. Naturally (I suppose) my thoughts have turned to my own brothers and their places in our family. After my sister, Kiera, and I, there are three boys:

"Jimmy" is the oldest, about six years younger than me.



Then there is Thain on the right (eight years my junior) followed by "Schnaupy" on the left. He's the baby of the family at 11 years younger than myself.
So yes, I used Thain's real name, mostly because the only nickname we ever teased him with was "Sally". And I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.



As in any family, each of my brothers are very different from one another, proving that you can't really make stereotypes of what 'boys' or 'girls' are going to be like. For instance, Jimmy is the rebel. He graduated from college a year ago and now lives in Japan. But Jimmy comes in different flavors. Observe:

Pink.


Ace.



Curly.



Emo.



Ice.
Yeah, I totally made up those names just now. (Last two photos courtesy of Jimmy. He's pretty creative too.)
Like a box of chocolates, you never know just what you're gonna get. But don't let his colorful appearance set you off. Jimmy has a clever sense of humor that always keeps us amused.


Then there is Thain. On the surface, Thain may seem like Jimmy's opposite. Currently a student at BYU, Thain is friendly, though quiet, and reserved. Elora adores him and he's always willing to play with his nieces and nephews.


Just as in his youth, Thain is like a big boy scout: loyal, honorable, kind.... and ladies under 24....he's single! Wink, wink, nudge nudge.


He's also the first kid in our family to actually go to social things like school dances in high school, and to date before college. Way to go on being normal, Thain! Oh yeah, and he's an awesome sax player too, or so I've heard.





Then there is Shnauppy. He's weird. Okay, maybe he is persecuted in our family for being the youngest, and I know him the least because I'm the oldest. But Kiera and Thain at least would agree with me. (Please disregard any posts I may have previously written about said brother and how weird he is.)

In some ways, he's an amalgamation of his two older brothers. He is social like Thain, dating and hanging out with friends. But like Jimmy he also has no problems standing out from the crowd, dressing like a Jedi at school and so forth. He also has Jimmy's curly hair. Schnauppy graduated from High School a year ago, and hasn't quite decided what to do in life, (read: doesn't do anything) but hopefully he figures it out soon.



Anyway, while they're all very different, they get along surprisingly well, both in younger years, and today.


(Please ignore the mindless drone faces in this photo. Trust me, they're having fun.) No matter how Elora and our boys turn out, I can only hope they get along with each other as well as my brothers!

7 comments:

julie said...

I'm beginning to suspect something may be wrong because I'm not getting your posts on my "following" list. Hmmm. I'll check into that.

Anyhoo, I really enjoyed this post. I remember your brothers only vaguely since they're so much younger than me, but I do remember them from church a little. It was neat to have you tell a little about them, and it's great that you all get along so well.

KieraAnne said...

Wow! What a colorful and diverse family you have! It's so great to get to know them a little better. ;) I think you should have called Thain Sally...I do.

Mellissa said...

Oh, the face of the mindless drones! I know it well from watching Ben and my kids play video games. It's so weird to see your brothers so grown up, because I still picture them as toddlers. They're good looking boys.

tearese said...

julie- hmm, yeah, you'll have to check on that!
kiera- ha ha. You dork.
missy- ugh I know. Thats why we don't have one of those systems in our house (yet). I don't think I could stand it.

Anonymous said...

What? Under 24? You mean, you don't think Thain will go for an older woman?

:)

tearese said...

hmm, you're right...lets not discriminate. Do you want me to tell him you're interested?;) J/k

julie said...

I checked and you are still on my list of blogs I follow, but your posts still weren't showing up. So, I deleted you then added you again. Now they're showing up. Woohoo!