
No, this first picture isn't me, its the picture I took to the salon so they could see what cut I wanted. My hair never turns out like I pictured it, but I thought maybe a reference of some sort might help.
As expected, my new haircut looks nothing like this! Part of the problem, is my hair is not straight by any means, and stylists always seem to have a problem with that issue. I also asked her to do it a little shorter than this pic, which may have affected the outcome as well.

So I've had my hair this short before, but never with layers of any kind.. I was afraid the curl in it would make them "not work". Also, when my hair curls or frizzes (as it did while the girl sprayed it with water) it seems much thicker than it is. Therefor I think her layers thinned my hair out way more than she realized, resulting in a very thin scarecrow look.
It was annoying because it was all frizzed out while she cut it, and then she didn't straighten it at all to see if the cut looked right! I don't know how she could tell, the way it was when I left.
I wasn't too excited when I got home and straightened it, and this was the best I could do:

Her layers didn't seem right at all. But after a few days of experimenting and using bobby-pins etc, I decided I did like the cut after all. Even though its still not like the picture I brought.
The day we had the baby was actually the first day I was trying it curly- my natural curl always comes out better when its short!
I took this picture that morning:

So, what do you think?
18 comments:
Embrace your curl! It's cute and it's gotta be way easier than straightening it! Anytime you work with your natural texture it will save you time... and I know that I sure don't like spending a lot of time on my hair!
Cute! I don't think I would have had it stacked in the back since when I just leave the front part long like in that pic it tends to look really thin. I think it looks cute curly...did you try curling the ends under with the big curling iron after you straightened it? That might help with the fly away bits. I'm not sure what you're doing with the bobby pins...you should post more pictures. :)
Actually...I think I've had that same haircut...I'll find a picture and send it to you.
I think that your hair looks too thin and flat when straightened in these photos. It could just be the pictures. The curls give nice body and bounce to your cut!
I would wear it curly everyday! People pay big bucks for curl like that. It's a gift. Enjoy it. :)
I LOVE your curly hair with that cut. It's really fitting for you. I have problems with my hair going wack-o when I get home from the salon, so I finally trained myself to use one of those big round brushes to straighten my hair. It took some practice, but it gets rid of frizzies and makes it straighten with just a touch of curl at the end. And I had a pretty short a-line cut about two years ago that it worked really well with. You look great in these pictures, by the way!
I love curly hair! I wish mine was! In fact, if it were in the budget I would go get a perm NOW. But my husband is being laid off on Friday, so not much is going to be in the budget that is not necessary!
I am going to have to agree with everyone, go with the curl! And a bit longer, I think it would suit your face better. Gosh, sorry to say, but that lady really butchered your hair. I think I could have given you a better cut, and I never even went to beauty school. :p So there's my two cents, you asked for it. ;o)
p.s. That's why going to get my hair cut scares me to death. It never turns out the way I picture it. Good thing it grows back...
p.p.s. I may steal that first picture, though, I love getting my hair cut like that. Haha! Just gotta find someone trustworthy...
So, I do have to say it has looked better straight since I took these pictures.
Everyone seems to think its easier to do it curly, but to me it takes more work! I usually like to wash my hair at night then do it in the morning, but to do it curly I'd have to get up early and do it then. Also, I have to use TONS more hair products to do it curly, and I hate putting stuff in my hair! Plus, its much more unpredictable curly- the back is usually still pretty straight, and there is no guarantee that the rest will be equally curly. I wore it curly alot in WA because it wouldn't stay straight in the humidity, but I was pretty excited to get my first straightener for Christmas this year, and I'd like to keep using it.
Missy- yeah, I've been using a round brush and a curling iron to straighten my short haircuts for about nine years now, but I was hoping to be able to do it different now!
Well, I came back to this post to share something with you, but I see you talk about not liking to style it curly...
But anyway, I saw the movie 'The Mexican' while flipping through channels today and was reminded that Julia Roberts has a cute, shorter curly bob in this movie and it kind of reminded me of your curly photo.
Here's a pic
Just thought I'd share... but I totally understand not wanting to get up early to do your hair!
I so so so love it!!! Its super cute...even when its not straight!
Jill- thanks! Actually, I appreciate that, as I've always liked Julia Robert's looks, even the curly ones.
Melanie-thanks!
Ok, so you are soo pretty! I really like the cut. I am a big fan of short hair. but short is easier for me and I go for easy. I am jealous of the curl though.....
Well, I pretty much have always really liked your hair, so this is just another do that I like!
You're right, it didn't turn out exactly like the photo, but unless you hire a team of hair stylists to do your hair for you every day, it never will. I think your hair looks great either way - straight or curly - and you're lucky that you have the option of doing it either way. I think you look really cute!
crystal, cardine, and Julie- Thanks guys! Now I feel much better :)
I think it's a great cut! And I'd imagine you probably really appreciate the length when it comes to caring for your children.
I might be a little biased, but I think I like the curly do better than the straight, too. :)
I love the curls! And the color. ... you have darling hair!
Post a Comment