One week ago......
So Tuesday the 21st of July started out pretty normal. I had taken Elora and Joshua to the free cooking class they have for married students every week, where we had tried a yummy cucumber salad. When we got home, I was letting them play outside for a while, while I sat and talked to one of my neighbors. I think it was around 12:00-12:15 when I stood up and suddenly it felt like I was peeing my pants and I couldn't stop!
I had read all about what its like to have your water break of course, but I wasn't absolutely certain that was the problem here.I asked my friend to keep an eye on the kids while I went in to check. Of course, walking to my stairs the water just kept coming, and when I went in and sat down in the bathroom there was another gush! Yck.
Joseph happened to be home that morning and was in the shower, so I told him what was going on and he finished up quickly! I called the hospital to make sure they wanted me to come in (after all, I wasn't in active labor yet and I'd always gone in at the last minute before). Then with the aid of a towel and a change of clothes, I hurried back out to tell the neighbors what was going on and to arrange for sitters.
Lucky for me, lots of people were outside and everyone was more than helpful. We called my mom who would be making the six hour drive to watch the kids that night, then we hurriedly packed our bags- I had a list of what to bring, but had assumed I'd have a few hours on the big day to actually pack it, so it wasn't ready (even though I'd predicted the birth for that week.)
Joseph told the kids where we were going, and while Elora had been asking about it for days, she was actually more excited to be spending the day with other peoples' kids, and seemed indifferent about the whole thing.
We arrived in our hospital room around 1:00 PM. (did I mention I got my hair cut the weekend before this? Yeah, I was going to do a post about it, but things got busy!)
I wasn't having regular contractions yet, and the ones I was having weren't painful at all, so I was worried this would be a long wait. But when they checked me I was dilated to a three. Yay! We stayed around the room and watched Flight of the Navigator. By four I was having regular contractions 3-5 minutes apart, (if I was home I probably would have started recording them around 3:00, so on my records that is when I'd say labor started.)At around five, the regular contractions had sort of petered out (I'm sure its because I was in a bed instead of going about my regular day like I would have normally) so they decided to start a low dose of pitocin...which I think was completely unnecessary, but whatever. Almost immediately, the contractions were 1 1/2- 2 minutes apart, and lasting 30 seconds or longer, and now they definitely felt like the real thing!
The staff seemed surprised at my quick reaction and lowered the dosage twice before finally turning it off after 45 minutes, in order to "give me some relief" they said. But they couldn't stop what they'd started. Not only did the contractions continue in the same manner (1.5 minutes apart) they kept increasing in intensity. I know 'cause I was watching the monitor! I told the nurse that this was the point I would have rushed to the hospital if I was at home, meaning I'd probably be ready to push within an hour.
While Elora's birth was supposed to be natural (and it was, up until the c-section after pushing for 2 hrs!) Josh's had been with an epidural, and I had planned to do the same with this baby. When I told them I was ready for the anesthesiologist, they told me to wait ten more minutes and they'd check me again. I don't think they understood our time frame here.
When I asked again, I was informed that he was now attending a c-section and would be another 45 minutes. The staff offered me some medicine through my IV in the meantime. At first I declined because I'd heard bad stuff about that, but in the end I accepted- I should have gone with my first instinct.
The medicine didn't seem to affect the actual contractions at all and just made me tired and dizzy in between- just like my sister said happened to her.
At about 6:45 the doctor checked me again and I was at a six, and the very next contraction I felt myself starting to push, meaning I'd reached a 10! Of course that was when the anesthesiologist poked his head in the room, and he was informed his services were not necessary. As mad as I was at Elora's birth not turning out all "natural" I was just as annoyed at my plans for an epidural being thwarted this time!
The doctor was certain he would deliver the baby on my second push, as he was fairly low down already. But I guess I'm not very good at this pushing thing when it causes more pain. It took about twenty more minutes before little Jonah was born, and this was after the doctor getting a little frustrated with me (I swear I know all about how you're supposed to 'push', its just my dislike of the pain had me doing all the wrong things - I knew it, but couldn't help it!)
In the end, they did use a vacuum extractor like they did with Josh, but I definitely prefer that to the c-section! Afterward, the doctor informed me that he'd not had to raise his voice to a patient that much in all 11 years of his practice. (Strangely, I actually liked this doctor a lot, despite his reprimanding me, and despite my usual aversion to male doctors. Weird.)
Jonah, just after his birth

This is me right after the baby was born.

After all the regular tests on the baby, we were informed that his blood sugar was dangerously low - but really, since when do they check blood sugar on a baby? They gave him a small bottle of formula and monitored him for a while (to my annoyance, since I was going to nurse him and this would mess up his nursing technique).
After checking him again later, they found his glucose levels down again. Luckily, the pediatrition who was on duty knew all about nursing supplimental systems- you know, slipping a small tube into the corner of the baby's mouth while he's nursing with the mother, thus sneaking formula in while he is learning to latch on the right way. I was much happier with this solution!
We had to do that all night, and all the next day until they said his numbers were at a satisfactory level. Sheesh!Then came the next drama. The day we were going home they did his bilirubin test (you know, jaundice) and said it was pretty high so we should come get it checked again the next day. With Joshua, we'd had to have him checked every day for a week but never had to do lights, so I hoped it wouldn't be any more than that. We went in Friday as planned, and the lab never called us back, so assumed he must be fine.
But Sunday...someone called and said there'd been some mix up (because it was a State holliday, all different staff were there, etc.) and someone should've called us on Saturday, as Jonah's levels were dangerously high. They asked us to come right in that afternoon, and we were informed he'd probably have to stay for a few days!
I was freaking out at this news, as we were just establishing a nursing routine, I'd never been able to pump milk well, and I didn't know what we'd do if I couldn't stay with him! Luckily, our lovely neighbors came to the rescue again and watched the two older kids while we went in to see what was going on.
After wandering around the hospital for half an hour (Joseph had taken the message on the phone and had neglected to write down exactly what doctor had called us or where we were supposed to go!) we found the right place.The doctor there explained the alarming level Jonah's bilirubin was at (if it gets too high, it can cause brain damage) and that he felt they needed to persue agressive light therapy immediately. The take-home lights everyone had told us about were not strong enough, in his opinion.
We were set up in a private room in the pediatric ward. Jonah was in the light bed, while I was allowed to stay in the bed next to him! It was a long night- he couldn't be wrapped up so he was thrashing around a lot, and he hated the little mask on his eyes. In fact, they had it on wrong the first few hours, and every time I'd look over at him he had it pulled off and he was looking around! I was only allowed to take him out every three hours or so to nurse him, and he wouldn't sleep more than 20 minutes at a time. Of course, there was that time around 4AM I took him out and fell asleep with him on me for an hour. Shhhh.
Anyway, by the morning when they tested him, his levels had been reduced dramatically and we were allowed to go home! We had to test him again Tuesday and Wednesday, because they went up again slightly, but now we are supposedly in the clear. Hooray!
His first actual doctors appointment is this next Monday.
Oh here are a few pictures from our first morning after he was born...I was going to edit these and make them nicer ( you know, get rid of the fingerprints on the window etc. But its probably not going to happen!





11 comments:
Babies being born are a mirable no matter how they get here. I am so glad he is healthy!
Congrats, Tearese! Thanks for posting your story; I'm always interested to hear them because each one is a little different. I'm glad that you and Jonah are doing well, though the jaundice issue did sound a little scary. Again, congrats - we're so happy for you guys!
Those pics really do illustrate the miracle of it all. Thanks for sharing them.
Giving birth scares me.
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so sorry your plan for an epidural was thwarted, but I'm glad you liked this doctor. What drama you had to follow the birth! All my kids were jaundice-y, especially Carter because he had a hematoma from the forceps. He was yellow for a month! I'm glad Jonah's level are good and no more testing for that! I hope you and your little family are all doing well! Congratulations!
Wow! I agree with Cardine - give birth scares me!
I'm glad everything has worked out and that both of you are doing well.
I like your haircut!!
Man I hope that doesn't happen to me...I don't want to do it naturally...I would probably do the same thing if it hurt more to push. I'm glad everything turned out okay, sorry all of your kids are sick today.
The picture of you right after birth is gorgeous! You look like you are ready for a photo shoot.
I'm glad the baby's numbers got closer to normal. One of my granddaughters was so high she had to be in the hospital for five days. I went down every day and stayed with the baby so my daughter would go sleep for a few hours. Every time they did a test on the baby I would talk to her and try to reassure her. SHE REMEMBERED MY VOICE AND ASSOCIATED IT WITH PAIN AND HATED ME FOR THE FIRST YEAR PLUS OF HER LIFE. I'm not kidding. So, I am so glad your--beautiful, by the way--baby only had to spend one day there.
Bongratulations.
(I can't spell)
Congratulations!
What a beautiful baby boy! Congratulations!
Congratulations, he's adorable! Every time I see a picture I think he looks a lot like Joseph. Did you know that Preston's birthday is July 21st too? I was really excited when I heard Jonah was born on the same day. I'm glad he's okay, and your haircut looks very cute, I like it curly! I also had to say that I love "Flight of the Navigator" good choice of movie... Oh, and good job having a baby without an epidural, even if you didn't want too. :)
thanks for your well wishes everyone!
Cardine-I hear you..for me, a lot of the scariness was alleviated by reading as much as I could about it before Elora was born. Of course, I know people who'd rather know as little as possible!
Missy- I think forceps are scary! We've had to use a vacuum twice, but I'd freak out if they pulled out forceps on me!
julie-thanks!
kiera- your labors last long enough I doubt that would happen.
Lynn- I wonder if you mean the photo before? I thought I looked kind of ornery in the one after!(in the blue gown). Thats so sad about your granddaughter's associations with your voice!
Rose-thanks!
Alycia- hey, I didn't know they had the same birthday! Thats funny.
Post a Comment