
I was really excited to be able to make this for Jonah, as we didn't have photoshop when the other two were born, so we just did announcements with words and included the photo the hospital took. I was impatient for the baby to be born just so I could work on it!
The photo with Joseph was taken at the hospital before the baby was a day old; I loved the silhouette in this and knew I just had to use it. Too bad I didn't quite catch the sun flare I was going for, but I still like it!

My mom was very generous when she was here, and one of the best things she got me was five yards of black fabric so I could take some of these other photos.
I found it more trouble to get good shots than I thought I would. Partly its because I waited till the window light was too dim for my camera, so many of the pictures I got had a little too much blur, or were a bit grainy. (No studio lights here!)
Also, I was trying to hurry before the baby got grumpy and the other kids kept coming in and out of the room. It didn't help that I had this set up on my bed, which was not the most stable of environments- the baby tipped over more than once!
Plus, my babies never were the scrunchy floppy kind of babies. I was trying to get him to scrunch up or lay so still and cute, but my kids like to raise their heads, look around and wave their arms....even at four days old! Guess they take after me.
This is about as scrunchy as he got... definitely not the best of pictures, but I think I'll keep them.



This following picture is the one I used in the announcement; I love that raised eyebrow. He looks a lot like Elora at that age. At first I didn't like that his feet were in the way, but I've decided it makes it unique:

Hey, whats that up there?

Technically speaking, this picture is awful in the way the baby is positioned, but I still like it:

As for this foot shot, I really do love this one! I love that his head is in the shot too. This was also used in the announcement:

Then we had to do the obligatory baby-in-daddy's-hands shot; most of them weren't that great as he was getting fussy (the baby not daddy),

But I did like this one a lot:

And before he got too mad, we got in a few head shots:

Then we realized it was time to be done!
There are a few more variations on all these shots, and I have everything in both color and black and white. Now comes the hard part deciding which ones I'll print to hang on my wall.I was going to try more the next day, but that was when we had to take him back to the hospital to stay under the bilirubin lights overnight so it didn't happen. I had contemplated doing some with the siblings too, but by the end of that week I was exhausted. Maybe when he's older, or when we do family pictures in the fall?
Oh, finally, I did end up fixing that pretty window picture I posted earlier from the hospital. Here is the before and after:

8 comments:
He is adorable! I really like the shot of his feet with his head, too. I remember you saying that you'd like to fix the window in that last picture and wondered how you'd do it. It looks great! Thanks for sharing these pictures of your little guy!
Wow you should photoshop all of my pictures too. ;) Was he really that yellow with the jaundice or is that the light? Poor baby in the white blanket pictures...he's like "mom? I'm kinda falling over...mom? Mom? A little help here? Mom!" lol
Wow-great photos! And nice photoshopping skillz.
Wow. I don't think that I have photoshop skills. When you mentioned cleaning up the glass previously, I totally anticipated the getting rid of the glass marks. I wasn't sure how you'd do that, but it is totally couterintuitive to me to blur the background. But clearly that was the most awesome way to go. You definitely have an eye for beauty. Well, two, really.
julie- thanks.. I think I may have blurred it a little more than I intended, but it turned out okay.
kiera- in some of them its the right color, in others (like the last few) I actually did something in photoshop that makes skin look smoother and adds a golden tone to it; I liked it but now I'm worried everyone will say its jaundice. Yeah, he was totally falling over. He fell on his face at least twice!
sarah- thanks! And coming from a graphic design major, that means alot!:)
cardine-I was just going for what a more expensive camera can do- blur the background so its not distracting from what your photographing in the foreground. Of course, if it had actually been a camera, the blur would have looked different with round dots and circular shapes in the background. And probably not as blury as I made it.
I also could have used the healing tool to clean up the smudges, which I did do in another picture not shown here.
He is just so stinkin adorable! I have to say that you are looking pretty darn cute yourself with that haircut! I love it curly and I love the length!!
That last picture where you cleaned up the fingerprints (which, by the way, makes me NEVER want to touch the windows at any hospital) is beautiful. I really love seeing your work because you do such a fantastic job. I'm such a slacker with even taking terrible photos! That baby is so darn cute - just like his brother and sister!
Awwww, Tearese!
Congratulations! Jonah is totally adorable. And your hospital pictures are perhaps the best I've ever seen (how nice of the hospital to provide you with a room with such nice light and a beautiful view!!). I love your announcement. And, OMGosh, kudos to you for getting it all together so quickly. I bow in awe. ;-)
Post a Comment