Friday, August 15, 2008

My funny little helper

It's been a while since I've shared some Saucy stories...
Lately, Elora, true to her age group, had decided she's my little helper. She wants to "help" with everything. She asks to do the dishes,


fold the laundry,


and help us with dinner on a regular basis.


Of course she doesn't like to pick up her toys anymore like she did a year ago. Surprisingly, she's not too bad at some of these chores. When she asks to help with laundry, I let her have all the washcloths and dish towels. On her first try, she folded the washcloths correctly without my help. I was certainly impressed! (I guess it wasn't her first try...she tried to help once or twice last summer as well):


With dinner, she loves to shuck corn on the cob, and help when we make chicken croquets. Her job is to take from daddy the dough balls-with the chicken inside- and dip them in the butter. Then mom puts them in the breadcrumbs and onto the pan.
The few times she helped with dishes, she informed me she was "washing the sponge," which meant she was rubbing the scrubber with the washcloth to get it all clean.

Here are some other things she's been doing lately..

4-11-08
Today I was singing a song from a movie to Elora. There was a line that went, "Who longs to kiss your lips, and hold you tight". She interrupted me and asked, "Mom, can I kiss your lips and hold you tight?" I laughed and gave her a hug.
Today Joseph was reading a science book to Elora, and telling her about sun flares. When I was putting her to bed, I told her not to get out of bed until the sun came out. She replied, "Mommy, when the fire comes down off of the sun I will be so scared!"
I guess she wasn't quite old enough to understand the sun flares yet!

4-29-08
In the bath, I will sometimes put a washcloth over my hand and have it 'talk' to Elora. She calls it a dragon, and is always begging me to "make a dragon". The other day, she was noticing the tag on the cloth so I asked her what it said. She pointed to each word and slowly said, "Please. Make. A. Dragon."

6-7-08
Today Elora called me back to help her after she went potty. When I got there, she was leaning forward on the seat with the lid on her back. She exclaimed, "Look, mommy, I'm a turtle!" She thought she was pretty funny.

6-18-08
When we were outside today, Elora noticed a small white cloud above us and she pointed it out to me. After a minute she said, " Sometimes I fly up to the sky and I grab the cloud. Then I bring it down and I show it to you." What a great imagination!

6-20-08
In the bathroom the other day, Elora had pulled the toilet paper out everywhere. She usually doesn't do things like that, so I asked if she had had a hard time pulling a piece off. She hadn't, so I asked why she had made a mess like that. She explained that she had wrapped it all around her neck to make a 'silly scarf". Even though I was mad about the wasted paper, I couldn't help but laugh.

7-26-08
We've been trying to teach Elora that its not okay to be naked in front of other people. She was walking around naked this evening because she wanted to put her swimming suit on, but it was too late. Nothing we said would motivate her to get dressed.
Joseph was on the phone with his dad, and he asked Elora if she wanted to talk to grandpa. She said yes, but then she panicked and grabbed her clothes. She said, "Wait, I have to put on my underwear so Grandpa doesn't see me naked!"


8-12-08
At lunch the other day, Elora asked her daddy, "Why are you guys going to sleep?"
He was confused and told her we were not.
She thought for a moment then said, "You're going to drink your milk
then go to sleep?"
It was then we realized that Joseph and I had mugs of milk with our lunch that day- not a usual practice- and she and Joshua only got milk right before nap time and bed time. Makes sense I guess!

8 comments:

Kara said...

How fun! I wish my kids were more helpful! Leonora likes to help some, but I usually have to undo anything she "helps" with!

KieraAnne said...

Those stories are pretty funny. Isabelle probably does cute stuff like that. I should pay more attention and write it down. :)

denedu said...

Those are cute! I always with I had tons of video cameras posted everywhere to catch all those cute little moments like those. :)

Mellissa said...

It's little memories like those that we need to read when we're ready to strangle our kids! What a funny girl. Thanks for the fun post!

Whimsy said...

What a cutie.

kanaboke said...

what cute stories about Elora! So besides your Blog you also Journal? Amazing woman you are!

tearese said...

thanks everyone- yes, I need to remind myself about these funny things more often when I'm angry at Elora!
kanaboke- nah, I don't journal nearly as much as I used to/ should. I have some little books just for my kids, and I write in those...I suppose when they're older they can have them as their first journals?

julie said...

I think it's great that you write little incidents about your kids. They'll get a hoot out of it someday!