Sunday, August 03, 2008

The Reunion House

One of the coolest things about our reunion this year was the cool house we rented for the week. It was at one time some kind of a store, which was later gutted and made into a very nice dwelling. (This photo is from the rental website; check out the link to see more photos of the house and rooms!) From the outside it looked somewhat small and not that inviting, sort of a big stone box.

But inside the building they had done wonders. Both upstairs and down had incredibly high ceilings, complete with ceiling fans and (most exciting to us) air conditioning. The bedrooms had either queen size sleigh beds or sturdy bunk beds, and there were multiple bathrooms on both floors. (Our room had two queens, a crib, and our own bathroom.) Every feature from sinks to stairwells had been filled with great detailing.

There was a spacious game room in the basement with ping pong, fooseball, pool, air hockey, and even a private theater room with a large screen and couches on the tiered floor. Upstairs was a fully stocked laundry room, a printer, and from everyone's laptops I assume they had WiFi available as well.

The main room on the ground floor had a huge kitchen area, nice leather couches , a huge sectional couch in front of a monstrous tv (where the boys played many a video game), and of course plenty of seating for dinner time.

(Doesn't this picture make you think of the show, Cheers?)

This large main room stretched clear to the outside walls on both sides, so it was very spacious. The best part, was the ambiance these outside walls afforded the room. When the owners had renovated, they installed all the electrical outlets along the floors so that the original stone work would not be disturbed. The resulting rustic walls served as great a great backdrop for almost any picture.


Thain reading... he looks so interesting, like he's at a European cafe or something. Right?


Even more mundane pics like this one of my dad now have an intriguing quality to them. Well...maybe if you took the bright plastic cups out....


Little Popee McGee wouldn't hold still for a good shot, yet the wall still keeps you looking. Or maybe thats just me, as I'm his mother.

Of course, my brother "Jimmy" is always up for an artsy photo session. I got some good ones of him (he posed himself) :


And I found that the lovely rust color isn't the only attractive feature of these walls. The texture translates well to black and white too:



Best of all? I got some great self portraits with the timer on my camera. I love this one:


And even my handheld shot turned out great:


I may elaborate further on our activities last week (because I know you're SO interested), but for now, enjoy the house!

12 comments:

denedu said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time! My in-laws are here this week and we might go to the lake for some yummy burgers! I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I agree--those walls are excellent backdrops for photos!! How fun and what great pictures!

Anonymous said...

That is a great handheld shot. When ever I try them, I have a disaster!

Kara said...

Looks like you had fun! Those are great pictures! What a cool building! I also really like the one of all the shoes on the previous post-sorry, I'm too lazy to comment twice! :)

Whimsy said...

WOW - the pictures are fantastic, and the whole building just looks gorgeous!

Cardine said...

I love seeing your photos. You really do have a talented eye.

tnralvords said...

Those are great photos and it seems like you guys had a lot of fun. All these blogs about Bear Lake are making my desire to go even greater. If T could just get through all of his finals then we could go.

julie said...

I love the wall photos!

Sounds like a fun reunion! Your reunion looks a lot cooler than ours. It was just at a park next to a church in Vernal. Still fun, but not as exciting as boats, rock walls, and a cool reunion house!

KieraAnne said...

Hey I would have done cool photo shoots! You must have done those while we were out doing something. Bah! We needed two more days. None of my pics turned out as well as these. :(

tearese said...

denedu- sounds like fun! you guys are lucky you can go so often.

heidi- Thanks! I knew you'd appreciate the wall.

tirzah- I did erase one or two that I didn't show here...

kara- thanks for commenting even once, I appreciate it!

whimsy-thanks for stopping by,yes the building was great. I regret not taking more pictures around the rest of the house.

cardine- thanks! Lately, photography has been more fun for me than other types of artwork; I think it was my new camera that renewed my interest, as my last camera was just frustrating.

tnralvords- I hope you guys make it up there! I admit, it was much funner going with people who had water toys.

julie- thats pretty much what my dads family does, and yeah itsnot quite as fun.

kiera- awe, I totally would have took cool pics of you. I did get a couple good ones on the beach with you. Maybe I'll post 'em later.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Wow cool house and SCREAMING good pictures.

kanaboke said...

dang, that looks like a super sweet place!!! And I LOVE YOUR PICS!!!!