Thursday, August 21, 2008

Speaking of Portraits...Portrait #7

For this portrait I was given two photos to reference, but told they wanted this photo specifically for the drawing. In my opinion, the boy had a much more natural smile and a cuter haircut in the other one, but I suppose they must have their reasons!



I found the perfect combination for the eye color this time, grey and a blue I don't usually use, but I may have to darken it later. I erased the blue lines out of his mouth so his teeth weren't so harsh. His smile looks a little like a grimace so far, but thats the photo they wanted...



He has that blonde hair that is turning brown, so for the dark sections, I have to use a specific brown that is grayer and more plain than the others , or it ends up looking too auburn and too rich for a blonde kid. I will probably have to darken it more later.




Here I changed the shape of the mouth on the left side of the page ever so slightly, and it made his smile look more natural and friendlier. His vest was a dark color where I couldn't tell if it was blue or black. Either way, I never want to use just straight black on anything because it comes out looking flat and dull. I did his clothes with blue, black, and red all blended together. His jawline has more red than usual because his red collar is reflecting up onto his face.



I gave in and did the blue background to go with his eyes.. that last colorful background was a lot of trouble. Hey, they all have blue eyes, what are you going to do? The red collar of his vest has red, orange, blue and purple to give it definition.



I finished up the background and added a bunch of color to the face, then I figured it was pretty much done:



But the more I looked at it, the more unfinished it seemed. So pulled up the photo on the computer, then I went in and darkened everything: the hair has more brown and purple, the left side of the face has more shadows, and the shapes around the eyes are more defined, as well as the dimple shapes on the cheeks. I also made the cheeks more rosy. I erased out some of the forehead to make the reflection from the photo and to add more contrast. All of this seemed to do the trick, as his smile seems much bigger and his face looks complete. I added in the two little freckles he had on his nose..not sure if that was a good decision or not, but at least its done:


Does he look like he's wearing makeup? Oh well.

6 comments:

Kara said...

I don't think he looks like he's wearing make-up. I thougth the second to last example looked finished, but it does look more finished in the last one. Do you know you are fabulous at eyes?

Are the dark patches in his hair that dark? They were kind of distracting in the finished portrait.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Your portraits always amaze me. Great job!

tearese said...

kara- I think it looks darker on the screen than in real life. Yes, his hair was closer to that last one than the previous, and they often ask me to make the hair darker so I thought I'd beat them to the punch.
I thought his hair was distracting in the next to last one, because the edge along his forehead looked strange.

jen-thanks!

Mellissa said...

Lovely as always. It's like magic watching the portrait come to life. Thanks for sharing. He actually looks a lot like my nephew. Except my nephew is cuter because he has a British accent! I'm a little biased though.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing!

em kawasaki said...

Hi Tearese, Your artwork is beautiful, you are very talented.
I was writing to answer your question about the skirt. The shirts come with the skirt and we can make a shirt with sleeves, short sleeves. I just need to know the size so we can make sure we have one in stock. Thanks for your interest and let me know if we can answer any other questions.