Monday, June 01, 2009

Elora and Josh love Uncle Thain

Elora and Josh love their uncles, or at least the three that they know from my side of the family. But when it comes down to it, they really adore Uncle Thain.
Uncle Thain is one of those rare uncles who will actually play with them!





Uncle Thain spent most of his visit with E and J...whether he wanted to or not! Remember, Thain has a hard time saying no to little girls, and, apparently, twin nephews. His future wife is going to be sooo annoyed! Or, maybe she'll adore him for it?



The closest he can come to saying no is when he last visited and Elora wanted to play blocks. He'd say, "I can't, I'm broken." That didn't fool Elora though- she often refers to it, "Uncle Thain likes to pretend he's broken when I ask him to play blocks, but he's really not!"




Joshua has a special bond because Thain is his "Twin Uncle". It was more obvious before this last year when Josh got more hair, but in my opinion, Josh still looks like his uncle at this age, hair color and all. While my family was here, Josh would wake up every morning and ask, "What Tan doing?" or, "Where is Ton?" (He had a hard time getting that pronunciation quite right, but we knew who he wanted!) Even since they've been gone, he'll occasionally ask about Grandma or Grandpa, but it's "Tan" whom he is most concerned about!




From the very beginning of the visit, Thain was a great babysitter- I'd hate to think what trouble the kids would've been in at the wedding reception if Thain hadn't kept them entertained.




I felt bad at the Mountain Man Rendezvous, because Thain didn't get to see much; he was too busy keeping Elora out of trouble, and carrying her pine berries in his pocket. But I sure was grateful it wasn't me having to do it!






I know Elora and Josh are looking forward to the Fourth of July, when Thain has promised to visit again. But I wonder...how much is Thain looking forward to it? Hmm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pride myself on being the favorite aunt. I think my lengthy single state has lent itself well to that title. And yet, I plan on keeping the title once I am married. I guess I'll see how that goes!

Anonymous said...

No... that wasn't any kind of marriage announcement. Sorry to get your hopes up.

KieraAnne said...

Poor uncle Thain, he's way nicer than I am. :) He was very nice helping take care of Isabelle and James last summer at the reunion too. What a nice boy! :)

Mellissa said...

I think when people have kids of their own they can't imagine someone who is single (a.k.a. who can do whatever they want, whenever they want) wanting to INTENTIONALLY spend time with young kids. I know when I was single it was much easier to have other people's kids around me having fun, because I never had my own to worry about at the end of the day, and I didn't get to take the other ones home!

tearese said...

sarah- I could see you being the favorite aunt-my kids like to hang out with you too! Awe, no announcement? Just kidding.

kiera-yeah, Thain is really nice, huh.

Missy-I agree with the first part of your comment...however, I can't identify with the other part, because I admit I didn't really like hanging out with other people's kids when I was single either. But my siblings didn't have any, so maybe that was part of it?

julie said...

I bet Thain loves getting to spend so much time with his niece and nephew. I know I do. There are times when I think it'd be nice to talk to the adults at the dinner table instead of the kids, but then when the time comes, I want to talk to the kids - I can talk to adults all the time, but I don't get to see my niece and nephew every day. And, I imagine being single and childless has a lot to do with it.