Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Wanting Stuff

Stuff I think I need but probably don't, and will never get:

  • A big black cloth-possibly velvet- and something to hang it on. Just on the off chance I want to take some nice indoor portraits without having to photoshop the background clean.
  • Oh, and possibly some professional portrait studio lights. That I'm sure the kids would never mess with.
  • One of those nursing cover thingies, for nursing babies in public. Even though a blanket worked just fine for the first two. Hey, everyone else has one!
  • Another pair of maternity capris, because I only have one pair and they're white! Even though I won't be pregnant two months from now. But you still need them a few months afterward, right? Army green or brown would do nicely.




Stuff I thought I needed but now never use:

  • A full size easel. I didn't have my own till I graduated from college; before that I did large works at school and smaller pieces on a cheap table easel. I have done exactly two paintings on my easel (which I've owned for about nine years) but I would never get rid of it. I know I'll need it someday!
  • A drafting table. I got this in high school. It just ended up being another desk to put junk on. Joseph sometimes thinks he needs one of these too, so I keep telling him when we have someplace to put it he can go get this one from my parents house where I left it.


Stuff I want but know I really don't need:



  • Miscelaneous "stuff" for my family: a scrapbook for the baby, a new photo album because mine is full and I have lots of pictures to print, a red wagon for Joshua (because the neighbors with the nice wagon are moving), a pretty bedspread set for Elora (so she can stop using baby blankets!), a portable playpen for the new baby to use when we travel... (That one I might actually get at some point, I hope.)


Sometimes forced frugality is no fun! Did I mention my birthday is this month? Just sayin'.

11 comments:

Mellissa said...

Your list of stuff you want but don't think you need is quite reasonable. If you give me your address I'll make you one of those nursing aprons and mail it to you at the end of the month. No joke. I made one for a friend after my sister-in-law made one for me. They're great. Yeah, blankets work, but I really did better with the apron. :)

tearese said...

missy- seriously? woo hoo! Thanks. I'll do that. I got a sewing machine for Christmas so I could probably figure it out-they don't look too complicated- but I doubt I'd get to it before the baby was born.

Cardine said...

I was going to say, Tearese, isn't this sort of like a birthday list? Hee hee! Actually, it's really cool that you did this. I really appreciate it when people let you know what they want or need so in case you feel like getting them something, you know it would be something you want.

KieraAnne said...

Aah...I was going to get you one of those nursing things...though I wasn't going to make it so I guess Missy's will mean more. ;) Now I'll have to think of something else to get you...maybe a card? ;)

tearese said...

cardine- I hope people don't feel like I'm asking for stuff...I actually started out making a list of stuff to get myself sometime, but added the birthday thing as an afterthought.

kiera-ah. You could still get one if you want.

julie said...

Sometimes it's nice to get things you don't NEED, just because they'd be handy and nice to have or just because you want it. It's always nice to get things you really need.

I'm the same way about buying movies - I enjoy watching them but I so rarely buy them for myself because there are other ways I'd rather spend my money.

Did you see City of Ember? If so, what did you think of it? I liked it.

Cardine said...

Yeah, I know you don't necessarily want anything, but your list did remind me that if I ever feel like getting rid of my DVDs, then I would send you Joe vs the Volcano. Or if I saw it on sale somewhere for a really good deal, I would get it for you. You know. Things like that.

tearese said...

julie- yeah, it was one of the few movies (very few!) we saw at the theater last year. I quite liked it.

cardine-Ah, I see. Were you planning on getting rid of your dvds?

Skeller said...

hey -
go ahead and treat yourself to some black fabric!! I've heard a bunch of photographers say that the stretchy velvet at Joann's fabrics is super reasonable, especially when you use a 50% off coupon (I think you can find them online!). and it makes a great backdrop for baby pics, too - and it's totally washable ... y'know, in case baby spits up on it or pees on it or whatever... ;-)

tearese said...

thanks Skeller- we have a Joannes (and two other mega craft stores) so I'll keep that in mind when I have a little money. Especially because I want to take some good pics of the new baby!

Mrs. Segler said...

Very interesting stuff. Maybe we could get some material because I love the pictures. Love you, mom