For instance, Elora says this is a picture of guys and shadows in mirrors. Very clever, yet I think she may have borrowed a few ideas....

from Picasso and the Cubist movement? Don't you think?

Elora painted this masterpiece a few weeks ago, and I love these soft, blue, watercolor flowers. Yet I can't help but be reminded...

of Monet's Water Lilies. I'm almost certain she must have looked at this before she started her painting.

Then there is this strange drawing. Elora drew all these guys, then went back and gave them all earwax and boogers. As a finishing touch, she wrote the random letters L-O-P, and said that was their name. Very bizarre.

Okay, I was going to compare Elora's "Lop" picture with Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights and the Mannerist movement. But then I remembered how disturbing some of that imagery was and decided against placing her innocent drawing right next to it. But, you're welcome to look it up yourself and see what I mean!
Joshua too, it seems, has been learning from my Art History text. Here are two of his recent watercolor works, one in red and one in blue. I love how he used the other end of his brush to add texture, and how he captured all the energy of his movements. Wait, where have I seen something like these before?


Oh yeah, Jackson Pollock! Maybe Josh's painting isn't on the same large scale, but he's obviously borrowed a few ideas here.

Josh has also been working on many drawings like this. At first glance, its much like Elora's pictures looked when she started thinking about writing letters instead of just drawing...at around Josh's same age. But on close inspection, perhaps Josh has been looking at works by...

Paul Klee? They're practically identical!

Amazing isn't it?
Disclaimer: Now I know there are some of you (because I've heard so often before) saying to yourselves, "Wow, those artists are horrible if their art looks like a child did it." I just want you to know that I totally respect the artists I mentioned here. Whether or not their style is personally appealing to me, I still wouldn't mock their ideas or vision.
9 comments:
hehehehehehehe! I love it! How quickly were you able to see those artists in your children's renderings? You are amazing!!!
I'm so impressed with how you're encouraging your children to create! They are budding artists.
I agree with you about the artists to whom you compared your children's work; I don't always love their styles, but I appreciate the uniqueness, techniques, and beauty of their works.
Wow! You're kids are artistic geniouses! ;) I looked up that Garden of Earthly Delights picture...it has naughty things in it. I should let Isabelle draw more.
It has naughty things in it, teehee! (Okay, so I looked it up, too.)
I feel like I learn something when you do these posts. And I like looking at art, so thanks! Also, Elora and Josh are very talented!
I always love what my kids draw, and I also love seeing what other people's kids are up to artistically. I'll have to show you some of Melanie's work some day. Carter is great at drawing monsters, especially during Sacrament meeting where he then proceeds to write, "Dead, dead, dead" across the top of the page. Very spiritual.
This has got to be most favorite post of all time. It is a piece of art in and of itself.
*my most...
kanaboke-I thought the flowers looked like Monet right away, and I thought about doing a post on it. SO I think I had that in the back of my mind when she did the mirror picture, at which point the Cubism really stood out.
julie-Eh, it keeps them occupied. I'm glad you knew what I was saying with my disclaimer!
kiera-yeah, naughty is a good word for it!
cardine- yes, I rememeberd that I thought it was a cool painting the first time I looked at it, but when I was trying to find an image for my blog I realized how..shocking..some of it really was! But then, if you're depicting the bad things people do on Earth, and then what happens to them in Hell, I guess it would be disturbing.
missy-yes, kids are so creative. Thats funny about Carter. But, I used to draw skeletons and monsters at church too! Elora always seems to draw much worse in Primary than she does normally, I don't know if she's trying to copy what the other kids are doing or what, but it annoys me.
sarah- ah, thanks!I didn't know it was that great.
Too funny! LOVE the comparisons!
Post a Comment