Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The transformation of Elora's art

Its been interesting over the last few months to watch Elora's drawing style transform. In July, I was so proud of this family picture, because it was the first one that actually looked like faces. (I'm the purple one with two lips) :





In November I was excited at this new family picture, which included legs and "shoulders". I have a shirt too. The dots are a dot-to-dot she tried to make of the washing machine...daddy was trying to teach her how to draw that way, and she didn't quite get the purpose of the dots.





In January she created this masterful self-portrait. She explained that she had wings and blue fingernail polish on the ends (I don't know if the blue shows up in the scan very well). She got said polish for her birthday and wears it quite often. Oh, and she has lots of clips in her hair:




Lately though, her interests have veered away from the representational, and border on the abstract, as she has focused more attention on coloring the coloring books she got for Christmas. This is one of my favorites; she calls it "Wink":




While she spends a lot of time just coloring these days, she still goes through two to ten pieces of paper a day, drawing various things. Oh,and writing letters...she's really into that right now.
I feel bad that I haven't saved more, but really, where would I put them all? this is the drawing of our family she did today. Like most of her recent drawings, it too has abandoned some of the more realistic elements, but it does have the newest addition to all of her drawings: her baby sister, "Toby". (She's convinced that is what we will name it.)
From left to right: Mommy, Daddy, baby, Elora, and Joshua. Joshua has only one eye, she says, because there wasn't enough room for two. Makes sense to me! I see she and Joshua are a little more important than Mommy and Daddy here. Hmm, I wonder what that means? I think someone (not me) had been teaching her to make people as stick figures, which has stifled her creativity a bit.



I was sad I couldn't find some of the other ones I remember her drawing, I must have picked them up and chucked them in a random cleaning fit.
But what do you think? On her way to fame and fortune?

7 comments:

Cardine said...

Very nice. I like the blue nailpolish. I think it's interesting to see what is important to my nieces about the pictures they color or draw..

Kiera said...

Most definitely!
"Wink" needs to be matted and framed and hung on the wall. That is truly a masterpiece. It is apparent that she has taken after her mommy in drawing talent! Keep posting the pictures on your blog even if you have to eventually throw some of them away. These are beautiful and she will love seeing them as she grows!

KieraAnne said...

Wow I should let Isabelle color alot more. I dont think she can draw that well yet, probably 'cuz I never encourage her.

Mellissa said...

Her "Wink" picture should definitely be in a frame somewhere. I love to see the creatures kids come up with. Carter can draw monsters like no other person I know.

julie said...

I love how creative kids are and it's great that you're doing all you can to encourage her.

Kara said...

I also love "wink!" It's so much fun to watch children develop their talents!

tearese said...

Thanks everyone for your comments...I'll tell Elora everyone likes her pictures!