Now that the digital era is in full swing, many people prefer to simply make web albums and leave their photos on the computer or on disks, which they can view when they're in the mood, or on special occasions.
Some people create fancy scrapbooks with their most memorable photos, while others compile family albums.
A few people prefer to display their cherished memories on the walls of their home, though I've heard the opinion that this is less than desirable in a truly designer home. Or something.
As for me? I'll take all of the above.
Obviously I have all of my photos on the computer, or I couldn't put them on my blog! My screen saver is set to a photo slide show, so whenever I'm not at the computer its running a show of all the photos I have saved on it.
As for hard copies, well let me tell you. I have photo albums coming out my ears, but I'm not going to stop anytime soon. I used to save every picture I took, but I'm getting better at only printing the best version of each photo. My preferred album displays about five pictures per page, and will hold at least 300 pics. I usually fill one of these up in about a year.
When I was a kid, my siblings and I loved to get out our mom's photo albums and look at pictures of ourselves from years past. She had about 30 albums when I moved away, I'm sure that number has increased in the eight years since!
I also do a few scrapbooks, though they aren't elaborate in anyway. I get some nice paper and photo corners for my pages, but I'm not as concerned with fancy lettering, or scrapbooking extras that so many people like to utilize. So far, we have three scrapbooks: one for each of my kids, and one family album.
As for my walls? Hello. Yes, I like to display photos. This came from my childhood as well. My mom used to rotate our school pictures through a few different frames, but lately her walls are a little out of hand. With weddings, senior pictures, and grandkids, she just keeps adding more. On some walls, you can't even see the paint color! Not that anythingis wrong with this;I love walking around looking at the walls full of memories whenever I go home.
She probably got this from her mother too. Grandma has a hallway in her home that is completely plastered with a cornucopia of pics of her kids, grandkids, and great grandkids.
For now, I am trying to keep my walls under control. I do have quite a few frames up, but I have a rotation plan..hey, what else are those scrapbooks for! Thats where the 8x10s from the wall go when their time is up. Some people like to rearrange their furniture, I like to rotate a few pictures every few months.
We have the multi-colored wall (which I'm slowly converting to all black frames),
and the silver wall, which is compiled almost entirely of frames I received as wedding presents.
Plus the one gold frame I got for my wedding, that doesn't match anything else, so its relegated to the hallway.
My other walls are set aside for art displays of course.
I must admit, I can get obsessive about frames. When I go to craft stores, I almost always prefer to go look at the frames as opposed to the art supply section. In fact, I just bought a new one (not the one I wanted, which was sold out) but I'm replacing the long green frame already on the wall, rather than making a new space for it. I'm just waiting for my prints to put in it. Isn't it cute? (it only counts as one, right?)
I try to plan ahead too. After all, if we have more kids, they have to have their own 8x10 on the wall to go with the black frames, and a 5x7 to go with the silver frames, and their own scrapbook. Its only fair.
Okay, I'm doomed. When I'm fifty, my walls will probably look just like my moms. But by then, I probably won't mind.
13 comments:
I'm glad you still print photos instead of just leave them on your computer. I have printed about 10 photos in the last year I think. Not good...
I think I just feel so behind in scrapbooking that I don't think I should print more pictures until I catch up. But, then I'm not spending time catching up.
I think it's interesting that "scrapbooking" is a bad word in the Art world. At least it is amongst those in the Art Dept. on campus. It's as if those who scrapbook are shamefully looked down upon... but in all actuality, I consider it an art form. And I also think people get way out of control with it.
But to each her own. I prefer to cram as many little pictures as I can onto the page - somewhat like a photo album, yet in a scrapbook layout. It's all about economy. :)
I am vainly trying to work on some frames with photos for walls. I will get to it and finish it eventually. I really like it when people at least have one section of family photos on their walls. It personalizes a house so much, I think. One thing I loved about your house was that you also put up some of your artwork. To me, that's awesome.
I just can't get myself in the mode to do scrapebooking. My mom is a pro, but me...ummmmmm...not so much. I'm sure I could be if I just got off of my patookie and did it. But...alas...call me lazy, I just don't do it. I use my digital camera alot now, and usually will put those on my pc to post on my webpages or send out to friends and family. I also put them on cds to save for later. It's all fun though. I just went up the canyon and took some pictures of the kids and am going to try to print those out to put up on the wall. Wish me luck. hahaha :)
sarah- I know what you mean, any type of craft is made fun of by 'real' artists, and its kind of an insult if someone suggests you're probably good at crafts because you can do art. But I must admit, Scrapbooking can be relaxing, and I do have respect for people who do artful scrapbooks that they made up themselves...that is, not copying a design idea out of a catalog. My mom is big into crafting too, so I would never assume to belittle someone who does it.
cardine- I am almost obsessive about my pictures, and what I do with them, or else it would never get done either (kind of like my dishes which never get washed because I don't care enough. I'm only half kidding.)
I have always wanted to have pictures of my kids on my walls, but I am not very good at taking pictures or getting their pictures taken! Do you think it's easier since you're so good with a camera?
As for scrapbooking, I'm just plum done with it. I did it with Mel and a bit for Carter, but Riley doesn't have any in a scrapbook. Most of his pictures are on my computer. I have turned into one of those moms who swears they're not going to take less photos of each kid, but it's happened!
Oh, I loved this post and seeing your walls of frames! I love getting ideas for decorating. That's awesome that you have pictures in all mediums! :)
I like seeing all of your pictures. I didn't look that close when we were at your house last time. I don't like scrapbooking...I enjoy looking at other peoples scrapbooks, but putting the pictures on themed pages with 'cute' titles seems to take the pictures out of context and make them a little less real to me. So I just put mine in the clear photo pages (3-5 on a page) in those ready-made binders they sell. I have a few sections of pictures of my kids, but I'm not good at rotating them like you and mom are....but I do intend to print my pictures before the end of the year. I don't like the new trend to have them all on discs. What will you do when the computer age crashes? There will be no physical picture to look at 'cuz there will be no computers to read your disk...and I don't want to have to go sit at the computer to look at pictures either. And that's what I think about that. :)
denelle- good luck getting the pictures up! You'll have to post them on your blog.
missy- everyone says that happens (my mom has entire books devoted to me alone) but I really hope I keep up with any more kids! Half the pics on my wall are really crappy ones I took a long time ago, so maybe I'm good at getting them up because in the past I didn't worry about how good they looked? (Thats slowly changing though! My new frame is going to have all those pics we took of E and J in the canyon.)
heidi- thanks, I'm glad you like it! Like I said, a lot of people are really turned off by walls covered in frames like that.
kiera- yeah, I generally don't do cute much, its just like, a page of 9 mo pics, a page of 1 year pics, etc.
Do you mean you use those magnetic pages, or more like page protector kinds? I'm sure you know, the magnetic ones are worthless after about ten to 15 years, when they turn yellow and don't stick anymore.
Are you anticipating the demise of all electronics;) Actually, I know what you mean; I have pics on CDs, and soon they'll be obsolete. Then what?
No I don't use those crappy "magnetic" pages. They're more like page protectors with 4x6 slot for pics. :) No I'm not necessarily anticipating the demise of the computer age...not just yet anyway. But more that you'd have to constantly update your storage techniques as technology changes.
Thank you! For reminding me HOW MUCH I loved looking thru photo albums when I was young (especially at my grandma's home!!)
And I know my kiddos love looking thru pictures too. I think I need to be much more intentional about leaving the photos and albums where the kids can easily get to them.
Thanks for this post - it's given me an epiphany...
Glad I could help! Your photos definitely need to be out there for people to look at too, they're to good to just keep on the computer!
Yikes, I know when we clean the garage and basement Phil will find all my frames. It is going to be a black day at Bedrock.
I like your version of scrapbooks best. It's about the photo, not the paper and doo dads.
i print my photos using snapfish, but i only print my favourites. the rest i burn onto cd-r disks. one day i'll toss them into photo albums.
but i LOVE framing photos. i have photos all over the house. and the kids art. a mom i know has one of those designer homes, no personal photos except one small frame of the recent professional photos of the kids. even if it works for some ppl, it lacks personality to me!
Post a Comment