I found out that I need to go a little faster on these portraits, because my friend needs them all by December 1st. So this time I didn't show quite as many stages in my scans because I was trying to work faster...and because every time I use this new scanner, I want to kill everyone. Which can't be good.
These all have a dark side on the right because the page is a fraction of a centimeter bigger than the scanner bed, and it has raised edges so the page won't lay flat like on the old one.

I was excited to finally have a portrait that wasn't blonde, so I got to the hair right away. I found some settings on my scanner that allowed me to adjust the scan, so on each of these I was messing with it to try and get a better representation of the colors. I changed the mouth a little before I started coloring it. At least the hair looks about right:

I am actually compositing two photographs for this portrait. They had one of her smiling like this but she was wearing a coat with the hood up. So I have another picture with a different expression where I can look at her hair and a cute purple dress she was wearing. It's working pretty good so far:

I made this next scan a little too dark, but I was trying to show the variety of colors in her skin, which weren't showing otherwise:

This is the final scan, the way the scanner thought it would look best. It looks a little dull in my opinion. Its like you're looking through dirty glasses or something:

And here is the final scan after I adjusted it. It might be a little more intense than life, but if you picture the drawing as somewhere between this and the last one, then you'll get the idea.
6 comments:
Not knowing what the girl really looks like, it's hard to tell that she looks "too old". I think she's adorable and I love her smile, hair, and eyes. I can see why you were so happy with the final result. I think you still should be, regardless.
What a fantastic talent you have! Cute little girl too.
I like the dark edge from the scanner. :) But, I'm sorry it's giving you fits.
I love these progressive posts; have I already mentioned that?
What a fun series! I like that you are showing the progression of your drawings. I find that very interesting.
(And I don't think the last one looked old. I think little kids often look like little old people anyways, though.)
She's a cutie! If you are sick of drawing blondies, you can draw mine! :) Just kidding, I know you're busy.
As usual, I love her eyes!
julie- yeah, I know no one can really tell just from the drawing. I think it had something to do with combining the two pics; I may have made her forehead too long or something but its really hard to tell.
kiera-thanks!
sarah-haha.I'm glad you like them!
nettie- glad to see you back again!
kara- after I finish these (Four more to go) I'll be happy to do other commissioned drawings, but I think you might have to wait in line...
Post a Comment