Here is my first scan...yeah, I know the eyes and half the face are already started. Sorry. The color variations in the background are because, again, the page is slightly bigger than the scanner bed, and with the lid down it made it slightly ripply:

In the photos, the boy had small pupils because they'd taken it with a flash close up. I've been told (in art and psychology classes) you can make people look more attractive by giving them larger pupils. He did look pretty cute, but my only worry is that his eyes don't seem open as wide because of it. Hopefully his happiness will still come across.
He had the same white-blonde hair as several of the other grandkids in this series. Luckily, I've now found which pencils I should use to create that effect, so I don't recreate the lemon-yellow hair issues I had with the first girl who looked like this. Because of the lighting in the photo, it did look brownish on top. I hope they took this into consideration when they gave me the picture, because I'm not about to change too much:

He was wearing a light blue sweater to go with his eyes, so I went with a darker blue in the background. It was looking really flat , boring, and a tad too dark at first. I started to erase it just too see if it would look okay lighter (there's no way to completely erase these pencils) and I found that the eraser actually made a cool effect, kind of like a wash on a pair of jeans. So I did the eraser marks throughout the background, and finished up the face and other details:

I seem to be getting better at manipulating the manual settings on our scanner, because this is actually somewhat close to the actual drawing this time. (But you still can't see ALL the colors.) Also, this time I left the lid up and adjusted the paper so the one side would have the dark line; at least that was better than that weird ripple issue again.
He turned out pretty cute, now I just hope it looks like him to his family!
5 comments:
It is not a lame post! Your drawings always amaze me!! I can't believe how grown up Elora is! She is so beautiful!!
Oh, I love those dimples! Beautiful job, Tearese.
You sound a bit frustrated. I'm glad you posted what photos you could. I enjoyed them like all the others!
cami- hey, thanks for commenting! yes, Elora has changed a lot since we moved.
heidi- thanks; yes most of these kids seem to have cute dimples!
sarah- I guess I was a little frustrated, with my scanner not working like I want and with the issues with my last drawing. I guess I don't take criticism well...at least, if its an art teacher or colleague I don't mind, but someone who doesn't draw themselves I have a hard time with their giving advice or critiquing.
He is a cute kid! Sorry you still aren't getting along with the new scanner. I'm glad you have some way of sharing your artwork with us though. I always like to see it!
Post a Comment