Thursday, October 23, 2008

When Grandma Comes to Town

Yes, technically Grandma and Grandpa came to town. But Grandpa has that Treasure Hunting obsession, so when he's here we usually only see him at night...thus his absence in most of our pictures. But Grandpa found lots of treasure (change and rings) during his visit, so Grandpa was happy.
So what did we do with Grandma?


The first evening, we went to look at the fall leaves, which are quickly disappearing. It was a little late in the evening which makes tough conditions for pictures, but we did get a few blury shots of Elora in the new Tie-Dye she got for her birthday. If you look really close, you might spot her shiny new nail polish:


On Friday Joseph had to drive to a conference for school, so we were on our own without a car. We decided to make the pilgrimage to the local cemetery (mere blocks from our home) to walk around and see some of the headstones of my mom's great-grandparents and other ancestors. Yes, Elora wore the same shirt again. Sheesh, three-year-olds.



The next day, we drove up the canyon a bit to try and take some three-year-old shots of Elora in her new fancy skirt. (Watch for future posts on this!)
We got there a little too late for my liking- about midday- so the lighting was harsh, but we still had some fun. We saw lots of hunters on the way up, and even got to pet some horses at our destination. Guess who took this shot of me and Josh from the back? Hmm, I wonder:



Grandma and Elora strike a pose:



Elora had to stop and walk on everything:



.....until she didn't want to walk anymore.



Lets not leave Josh out; he decided he finally liked Grandma:



Daddy had a pretty good time too:


That evening, after everyone had a well deserved nap, we decided to go check out a corn maze. Grandpa even came! There was a horse-drawn wagon that took us to the maze.



There were lots of fun things to do outside the maze, including a little hay-maze for kids:





There was also this... which Joseph put Joshua in. The theme of the maze was Charlotte's Web, if you couldn't tell:




We eventually took off Elora's skirt so that it wouldn't be ruined; she decided to use it as a cloak when she got cold.



Luckily for us, we had grabbed a map when we bought our tickets, and Joseph is a whiz at navigating corn mazes.




We passed many a person who had been lost in the maze for some time, and they were quite frustrated...usually it was the wife/girlfriend who was frustrated.
Hint: Boys, don't take your wife/girlfriend on a date to the corn maze if you don't know how to get out.



Sunday after Church my mom and I had a leisurely drive looking around town. They left Monday morning. Oh, and what were Grandpa's statistics for the visit? Here's his report that he sent to everyone:

I had a great time finding coins, I found 91 thursday,170 friday,207 saturday and 267 sunday for a total of 735 coins,this included two dollars,266 quarters, and 239 dimes. Five of the silver rings found were CTR rings including a large mans. one of the others was a nice mans Nike ring. I found 80 quarters saturday and 108 sunday.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks fun! I really like your expression and the coloring in the last picture. You look good.

So, did Joseph take the one of you from the back? And who took the one of him from the back...? They're both great pictures. :)

julie said...

I agree with Sarah - you look really good in that last picture! Maybe you should have been a model because you're so photogenic! I love the texture of your photographs. Very cool. I love corn mazes; I wonder if we still have one around here. Hmmm.

tearese said...

sarah- yes, I took the one of Joseph, but its totally different...I just thought it looked cute with the kids!
julie- Thanks...I thought I looked weird in it. Huh. On the model thing- your realize, on ANTM, the Plus Size models wear SMALLER pant sizes than I do? That gives you an idea of how small those models really are!

Cardine said...

Your blog really does have great photos.

I think that corn mazes are fun, but there have been times when I was going to go crazy with trying to find my way out. It is frustrating.

Alycia said...

First I must say that it's just sick if plus size models wear smaller pants than you, that's just wrong, you're so thin! I think you would make a great model... and how sad is it that it's taken me until now to realize what ANTM stood for. I'm such a dork. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun and got a lot of cute pictures. Did you make Elora's shirt to match her skirt? It's adorable!

Mellissa said...

I agree with Alycia that it is sick and wrong if someone is considered a plus size if they wear something bigger than a five. Hello?

It's funny, my parents look so much older to me than they did when I was young, but your parents don't seem to have aged a bit!

tearese said...

cardine- yes, I think a map is always recommended, or how the heck would you know what you're doing? Even with a map, I know I'd get lost on my own.
alycia- I agree! But I have to say, I look deceptively skinnier than I really am...I had roommates that were certain I was skinnier than them, but I wore several sizes larger than they did. Not that I'm complaining that people think that!
missy- I think my mom looks a lot the same (if just slightly heavier) but my dad looks a lot older to me, mainly because of his hair color. Its funny, my mom can get "senior discounts" now, and everyone always thinks its my dad getting the discount, but he's younger!

tearese said...

alycia- ps no, the shirt actually came with the skirt!

Kara said...

Looks like you guys had fun! And I think you look great tearese! You're very well proportioned.

KieraAnne said...

I think it's really funny you got Elora a tie-dye shirt after your post about that. I've never been to a corn maze...the hay maze looks like a slow itchy suffocating death waiting to happen. ;) (You know 'cuz I'm allergic) Isabelle would probably have fun though.

tearese said...

kara- wow, I should post pictures of myself more often, I wasn't expecting all these compliments!
kiera- what, you don't like hay? ;)