Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Summer Confessions

(Amendment: So we went swimming at the Aquatic Center for the first time in the two years we've lived here. It was actually pretty fun. Did I mention that I haven't been to a swimming pool since 1997 when we went to Thermopolis WY for a reunion? Yeah. It's not so bad. And its weird swimming when you're pregnant. My belly wanted to float up to my throat!)

I know I said this last summer in a much more interesting post, but can I just say again that summer is NOT my favorite season?

  • I hate being hot.
  • I hate going outside with no purpose; I only go out in the middle of the day for the kids' sake, or to escape the heat of the house. However, it seems so many other people like to go out in the heat of the day (especially during my kids' naps), that we feel left out a lot.
  • I never get anything done because we have to keep going outside.
  • I don't like swimming-in fact, I actually can't swim and hate getting wet or wearing a swimming suit. Beaches are okay for the change of scenery, but I would prefer it to be a cool day, and I never like swimming pools. Chlorine stinks.
  • I hate being hot.
  • I hate that my clothes get so sweaty no matter how much deodorant I use, especially when I'm pregnant..or postpartum for that matter. I often have to change in the middle of the day. (I'm sure you needed to know that too.)
  • I hate the feel and smell of sunblock- I make Joseph apply it to the kids and I'd rather get sunburned because I don't want to touch it.
  • I'm not particularly fond of barbecues.
  • I hate being hot.
  • I don't like mosquitoes, Box Elder beetles (which are a plague here around August) or flies. And Joseph gets freaked out by wasps and bees way more than by the spiders of winter time.
  • We always have less money in the summer, because Joseph isn't in school full time, so no financial aid.
  • Allergies: not wearing my contacts, itchy all the time, sneezing, you get the idea.
  • Oh yeah, I hate being hot.


There are some things I do like about the season, I'll admit.
  • I like summer evenings, when its still light at 9:00 and the sun isn't beating down on you.
  • I like going on walks or short hikes...in the evening only though.
  • I like summer foods like green salad, corn on the cob, ice cream, Popsicles, etc.
  • It is my birthday (and now Josh's and the new baby's as well.)
  • I like going on car trips, and people visiting us, but that doesn't necessarily happen every year...for instance, this year we have no plans.
  • Autumn is just around the corner!

5 comments:

Jill - GlossyVeneer said...

How do you really feel about being hot? ;-)

Living in Vegas, I've really adapted to the heat and I actually quite enjoy it... most of the time. Some days are just too oppressive.

KieraAnne said...

Yeah...I hate being hot too..and getting wet, and going outside for no reason just so the kids can play. I HATE sweating. I feel like I shouldn't even bother taking a shower if I know I'm going to do something that makes me sweat that day. I also associate hot with not being able to breath as I'm always sweaty and "hot" when I'm having an asthma attack or allergies. I hate the beach 'cuz I hate sand. It hurts my feet and sticks to everything. I also hate sunblock. We buy the spray on kind so I don't have to touch it. I hate humidity too, which they have here in abundance. I'm glad we have a/c. I think I would rather live somewhere that had a real winter with snow than here where it is so hot for like 6 months out of the year. But Patricks the one with the job and he hates the cold as much as I hate the hot, so we're probably not moving anytime soon. Oh...and I always get annoyed when people ask me; "Aren't you excited for summer?" NO! I'm not!! It's not like we get summer vacation from our jobs or anything, the only thing different is that it is suddenly too hot to go outside. Okay that's all. :)

julie said...

The things you learn about someone after all these years. You don't like BBQs? Why? The food? I can understand not liking picnics; having to transport food, bugs, uncomfortable seating, etc; but why BBQs? Just curious.

I used to be more opposed to summer, too, but as I'm getting older, I'm liking it more and winter less. Fall and Spring are still my favorites, but if I had to choose between Summer and Winter, I'd choose Summer. Mostly for the longer days, cool nights, activities (tennis, hiking, swimming, BBQs, softball, walking), traveling, and gardening (new to me this year).

Mellissa said...

I'm sorry you hate the heat so much, and I'm sorry you have to be pregnant in it. I have kids with July, August, and September birthdays, so I know what it's like to be pregnant in the summer. I either spent time in my air-conditioned apartment or in the air-conditioned car! Have you tried the spray sunscreen? It works just as well, and isn't as sticky. Ben and I always argue because he likes the cold and I like the hot.

tearese said...

jill-lets just say I was miserable while I was typing this post. I remember the last time we flew into the Vegas airport; the second we got off the plane, I felt like my eyes were drying up and my contacts were going to fall out! I guess one could get used to it...eventually.

kiera-whoa, its like we're related or something!

julie- I don't HATE barbecues. None of the statements in this post are absolutes..I sometimes have lots of fun at bbq's! I guess I just associate them with the ones at my parents house where we had to celebrate my b-day with fathers day, all the guests were people I didn't want to talk to, I always spilled my food, and the smoke always blew right on me. (That part still happens.)
Again, I actually liked summer a lot more in WA. You know, when I wasn't HOT!)

Missy-unfortunately, our apt is NOT airconditioned! Bleah. I know, having the baby at the end of July, everyone keeps saying I'll miss most of the heat. What the heck are they talking about? Not only are June and July very hot, but I think dealing with post-pregnancy...issues (Not to mention a hot baby laying across you every two hours) is just as miserable as being pregnant, if not more so!
I keep meaning to try the spray sunscreen. I'm not sure if I'll like it though, because I hate using bug spray for the feel of it too.